Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Lincoln
2499435

Step-by-step explanation on how to repair my broken shifter

Customer Question

Step-by-step explanation on how to repair my broken shifter rod on my 2005 Lincoln Aviator
Category: Lincoln
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the replacement "shifter kit" part. I do not know how to remove or take off the old broken one to replace it. Thanks
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I'm an independent contractor here at Just Answer.

Ford does not have repair steps for the shifter, they are just removed and replaced when bad. Though I have had a couple apart and could possibly figure out what needs to be done. All 3 pictures were the same, can you explain a little better which part of the shifter you are replacing.

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

You should see a rating screen if I have posted an answer, not an info request.

Your rating is my feedback. If I don't get feedback from customers, I will not be able to continue helping customers here.

Rating me good, bad, or not rating at all does not effect the fee you have paid nor does it close the post.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is the gear shift lever, top middle piece. Snapped in two, so I'm trying to replace that piece. I don't want to rate you yet because you haven't answered my question yet?? Hopefully you can understand and figure out my question, if you need anymore clarification please let me know. Thank you!

Were you able to purchase just that piece or did you get a complete shifter assembly?

Your wanting to replace the shift lock rod that goes down the center of the shifter hollow tube, right?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the part
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just the shifter lever piece, not the complete assembly.

Gotcha, its been about 6 years since I did this repair, so I hope I remember it. You already have the disassembled and ready to remove. Remove the shifter. On the side of the shifter is a squeeze clip on the the pivot shaft that holds the metal part of the shifter to the assembly. Work that clip off with a flat head. Then back out the shaft. You should then be able to lift the rod and metal bracket up, you need to turn the inner rod 90 degrees once unseated. Then remove and replace the faulty plastic rod and reassemble.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will get back to you in the morning. Thanks!

Super