HDGene
HDGene, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 year ASE Master Technician & Advanced Drivability L1 Certified Ford Senior Master Technician
285738

Removed and replaced entire dash of my 2006 town car to

Customer Question

Removed and replaced entire dash of my 2006 town car to change the two mode control motors on the plenum. After careful hook up of all wiring harnesses everything seemed to work but the car wouldn't start. Pats light on dash does not flash at all. I believe the PATS system is not working and not letting the car crank over. I have reremoved the dash to look for problems but everything looks normal. Any ideas on how to reset the PATS system?
Todd
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.

Take a look at the indicator for the pats system on the dash and make sure it is plugged in an double check all wiring harness and ground connections on both sides of the dash to make sure they are fully seated. Since it ran before you removed the dash it will have something to do with the area you were working in.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah, I did all that the first time but nothing helped. I couldn't find anything out of place. Not sure what to do next.
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.

Does everything else work, blower fan, instrument cluster, etc. I had one customer on here recently that got the incorrect blend door actuators and the eatc system was inoperable

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything else works. The trunk won't open after I try to start it but when I disconnect and reconnect the battery it opens and closes normally. When I turn the key again it stops working until I redo the battery. Battery was weak from sitting and five years old so many replaced it. That didn't help either. I don't think the pats system is getting power or thinks the car has had a theft attempt.
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.

The PATS theft lamp should blink on off with the key out of the ignition, it will blink fast if there is a problem with it reading the key when it is turned to on. if the system is working the pats light will stay on steady for a few seconds and then go out and allow the vehicle to start.If its not working at all there is an issue with the system. Have you verified you dont have any blown fuses in the underhood battery power distribution fuse box and interior fuse panel? Does the check engine light come on when the key is turned to on? Do you have access to a scan tool?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Light doesn't flash or any thing. Checked lots of fuses that might be associated but all were good. I disconnect the battery before I touched anything and reconnected after everything was hooked up. No check engine light.
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.

The checkk engine light should come on when the key is turned to on if it was working prior to the repair. If not that would indicate an issue with the eec power relay but should not be the same concern for the pats system lamp. Have you tried a different ignition key or unplugging the new actuators to see if the light operation returns? Any issues re installing the dash or possible pinched wiring harness? Everything reconnected on the pasenegr side of the dash including behind the glove box area?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Light comes on with key then goes out normally.
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.

Ok I didnt think that would be an issue.This is a schematic for the Pats system.are both fuses for the system shown in the diagram ok?

Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.

I mean the two in the battery fuse box and 2 in the central fuse panel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure which fuses they are. Where is the pats box located?
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.

F2 & F13 both 20 amp fuses in the battery fuse box. Fuse 6 & Fuse 21 both 10 amp fuses in the interior fuse box.The powertrain control module is the module that controls the pats system.

The passive anti-theft system (PATS) consists of the following components:

• anti-theft indicator
  • encoded ignition key
  • PATS transceiver
  • powertrain control module (PCM)
  • controller area network (CAN)
  • standard corporate protocol (SCP) communication network
  • international standards organization (ISO) 9141 communications network

PATS is active only for a few seconds when the vehicle is starting. It is not a PATS concern if the vehicle stalls after it has been running for a minimum of 3 seconds. PATS will not disable a running vehicle.

PATS may cause a vehicle no start due to either the fuel injectors or the starter not operating (starter relay does not close) or both. Always check for PATS DTCs from the PCM when a no-crank or no-start condition exists. A low state of charge (SOC) in the vehicle battery may cause the PATS to allow the starter operation, but prevent the fuel injectors from operating.

If the theft light does not prove out (it may be either flashing or glowing steadily) and one (or both) of the previous conditions (fuel injectors and/or starter inoperative) are present, it may be due to a PATS issue. If the theft light proves out, it may not be a PATS issue. If the theft light does not illuminate at all, it may be a circuitry/light sensor issue. Refer to Symptom Chart in this section.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the theft light proves out, it may not be a PATS issue. If the theft light does not illuminate at all, it may be a circuitry/light sensor issue. Refer to Symptom Chart in this section.This sounds like my problem.I checked all the fuses by the battery and their good. Can't check the box under the dash as the dash is on a table.
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.

The dash is not in the vehicle at this time??????

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I took it back out today to recheck everything. I'll put it back in tomorrow.
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I was gong to say how are you checking things with it out of the vehicle.make sure the indicator is plugged in and everything is connected properly including all ground wires

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will but I don't think it's going to make a difference on the starting. I was hoping you would have seen this before and had some insight on how to get it reset.
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.

You cant reset or bypass the PATS system. If its not working need to find out why, test circuit, run a diagnostic check for codes with a scan tool

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can get a scan tool on it tomorrow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can we continue their s then?
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.

Yes, Im on everyday but will be offline tomorrow evening after 5pm for a work xmas party

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can just leave this open?
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.

Yup, just respond when you are ready no problem.QUestion remains open until rated and can still go back and forth after if needed

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great, talk to you later.
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.

Very good, just respond and ill get notified and get back to you asap

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dash is back in and all hooked up. Still won't start.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, after sitting for a while I bolted the drivers seat down and it started. I can't believe the two had anything to do with each other. Got a check engine light and trunk won't open.
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.

That is odd, but at least its running. You would have to do a diagnostic check for codes with a scan tool to see why the check engine light is on. Only thing I can think of with the seat is a missing ground. The trunk may need to be relearned to operate with the key fob if the key fob isnt working the trunk or is it an issue with the control on the drivers door?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will work if a pull the battery negative again but stops as soon as turn the key. I'm thinking about taking it to the dealership tomorrow.
Expert:  HDGene replied 1 year ago.

Ok, if you need more help just let me know. If I was helpful please hit accept and leave a positive rating.