Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Lincoln

2005 Lincoln Aviator- Both heated & cooled seats stopped

Customer Question
working. Both switches light for...
2005 Lincoln Aviator- Both heated & cooled seats stopped working. Both switches light for a few seconds then stop working all together until I restart the truck?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Lincoln
11/30/2015
Lincoln Mechanic: Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ronnie
Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thank you for your question,

Anytime the seats do not come on and stay on the seat module will in most cases set and store a fault code and or codes, DO you by chance know what the code and or codes are they they cleared?

No, they just said they came back and would have to return for further diagnostics.

The common cause for both seat to fali can be caused by any of the following,

• Driver Seat Thermo Electric Device(TED) heating element.
  • Passenger Seat Thermo Electric Devise (TED) heating element.
  • Drivers Climate Controlled Seat Module
    Module programming

Since both seats have failed you are likely looking at the module and or its programming being the source of the problem but unfortunately to even begin to know where to start your diagnoses you are going to need to start with scanning the system. If you can get me that fault codes I can direct you from there.
Could you recommend a good scanner? I was using a friends from harbor freight, it did pending codes as well. Found I have a vacuum leak, replaced hose, all better. But found no codes on seats. Does that require one of those really expensive computers??

You can not retrieve the fault codes with a simple code reader, unfortunately to access the door module you need a fully compatible scanner that can read the data stream as well. This type of scanner can run in the thousands dollars.

No love on that cheap scanner???

Unfortunately no, they type of scanner you are going to need is not cheap unfortunately. With out know the fault code anything I suggest would be a guess at best and my first guess is if both seats have failed its likely the Climate control module which is common to fail but there no way to know for sure without having the fault code.

Ronnie
Ronnie
Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician