Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Lincoln

1998 Navigator and everytime my car dies! I have to hold the

Customer Question
gas to keep it running...
1998 Navigator and everytime my car dies! I have to hold the gas to keep it running! I crank the car on fine but i have to hold the gas down to keep it running, if i let off the gas at all it stalls out. help please
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Lincoln
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/13/2015
Lincoln Mechanic: Mike V., Technician replied 2 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Technician

Hi there,

Is the check engine light on when it's running?

there was a check engine light a little while ago but it was an o2 sensor. so the last month or so there is no lights.

Ok,

Sometimes a bad mass air flow sensor can cause this issue. This is the sensor that is mounted in the air filter box. Try disconnecting it, then start the truck and see if the truck will idle on it's own without giving it gas. If it does then replace the sensor. This test will cause the check engine light to come on, so don't be alarmed, and normally when you plug it back in the light will go out.

Please give this test a try and let me know.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

ok i will try this. anything else it could be? Id rather hear all possibilities before i get to the truck tonight

The other possibility I can think of off the top of my head would be the idle air control solenoid. IAC. This little motor is mounted to the throttle body. Basically it has a small pintal that adjusts the air flow when you idle. If it's sticking, then the pintal inside will not move. This will cause the lack of idle, and usually will not set the check engine light.

It can be removed and cleaned up with carb cleaner as a test. It is mounted to the top of the throttle body under the splash cover on top of the engine. I am sending along a diagram to aid in finding it.

ok you say i can clean it but is there a way to check it and see that its not operating?

The only way to really test it is with an ohm meter. If the electric motor were bad, then it would set a code. This is the thing about this particular part. It can get sticky and stop working without storing a code as long as the motor is good. If the motor is good then the computer will see it as good and not store the code. This is why the cleaning it test works best. Clean it up, reinstall it and see if the situation improves.

I would try the mass air flow sensor test first, it's quicker and easier then the IAC, but either can fail and cause the problem you are having.

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Technician