AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

Went to start 2005 Lincoln ls use it every day. started up

Customer Question

went to start 2005 Lincoln ls use it every day. started up runs 5/10 seconds shuts off. did this 10 times
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 2 years ago.

Hello. It sounds like a mass airflow sensor issue. Is the check engine light on? Can you try unplugging the mass airflow sensor connector and see if it will run then? check for codes before unplugging it though. Let me know what you find. If you need a picture of the location of the MAF sensor and the connector, please let me know. Thanks!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Could I have a picture of the MAF sensor and the connector. Thank You

Sure. Here is a picture. Is your check engine light on?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Should I replace sensor?

I would try cleaning it first with mass air flow sensor cleaner. It comes in an aerosol can and you can get it from the auto parts store.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Without the sensor the car starts and runs but seems to be gasping for air. I only started it up and let it run for 15 seconds.

so when you unplug the sensor, the car will stay running (although not very well) ? and when it's plugged in, it starts and dies? If that's the case then you need to clean your MAF and hopefully that fixes it. If cleaning it is unsuccessful then replacement is the only other option. I have had luck in the past cleaning lincoln MAF sensors so definitely try cleaning it first and let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I cleaned MAF Sensor. Car still dies when I start car. Also engine light is on. Should I replace sensor? Are there other things that could cause this problem?

did you check for stored trouble codes?

before disconnecting the maf

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I don't have OBD.

auto zone can do it for free. I think advance auto parts will do it free as well. It would have been good to get the codes before disconnecting the mass air sensor to see if there was a code for it. There will definitely be a code for the mass air sensor now. I would go get the codes checked and see if there are any other codes. I would say though that if the car does not die when the mass air sensor is unplugged then it needs to be replaced if cleaning it didn't resolve the problem

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You were right. I put MAF sensor in and car runs fine but the check engine light is on what should I do.

That's great. The light is on from when you started it with the maf unplugged. You can either go to auto zone and get the codes cleared, disconnect the battery ( which I wouldn't do because it's a Lincoln) or just drive it. Eventually the light will go out on its own.

Did you need any further assistance

If my answer has helped you please remember to click accept and rate. If you need further assistance please feel free to follow up with me.