EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Technician
Experience:  ASE, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel, Kia Professional Elite
34559540

I took your advice and I got all the spark plugs replaced,

Customer Question

Hello. I took your advice and I got all the spark plugs replaced, changed out all the fluids, fuel filter, oil filter, air filter... I did not replace the ignition coil #7 because it already looked like it got replaced so I was hoping the spark plugs would
do the trick. After servicing, the car drove fine for a few weeks then the check engine light came back on for cylinder misfire #7 which is the same code I got before. Now it seems like the check engine light would flash at times and I would lose almost all
power. So I went ahead and replaced the coil from cylinder 7. As soon as I did, the check engine light went away and the car drove very good, maybe even slightly better. Unfortunately on the second day, after only driving 5 min, the check engine light went
back on and a few minutes later it started flashing and the car started idling rough and I lost most power. If I pressed the gas pedal I would get very little acceleration, almost like I'm forcing it to drive. I pulled over immediately and shut the car off.
When I restarted the car the check engine light was on but not flashing so I kept going only to see the check engine light flash again and I had to stop again. As soon as I see the check engine light flashing I know it's not good so I try to pull over right
away in fear of ruining the engine. Now that I did all this service work, it seems like it's worst than before. I was going to take it to a mechanic but I didn't want to get rapped and be charged to troubleshoot every aspect of engine until all parts are replaced.
I feel this could be just an electrical problem. The spark plugs are new and were replaced prior to me buying the car and the coils looked good but maybe the wiring is getting old and not transmitting electricity the way it should. What is my next step to
fix this problem? Replace wire harness for coil and spark plugs? Replace all coils, get new plugs? I did use the sea foam(only half bottle) in the fuel tank to clean injectors, do you think I should do it again to make sure the injectors are good? Do I need
to replace fuel injectors? I hope you can help me finish resolve this issue. Other than that the car was running fine, strong and smooth like a town car should be.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 2 years ago.

Ok. The fuel injectors will most likely not be causing this concern. The only way the electrical system would cause this, is of there is a broken wire to one, or more, of the coils causing the misfire. A flashing check engine light indicates a severe ignition misfire. You should probably check the codes that are stored for your check engine light after replacing the #7 coil, to see what cylinder is misfiring now. Generally the coils are the source of the misfire and flashing check engine light. I would continue to replace all the ignition coils. You need to get that out of the way. Then go from there.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok will do. Do you think I can order the coils from eBay? The one I bought at autozone was $50+ for one year warranty and one eBay there are coil packs of 8 brand new for $40-$50. Can I purchase those? I don't care if they don't last forever but they seem so cheap on eBay that it may be too good to be true? Please advise, I can order them and put them on this week hoping this will resolve the issue.

You can if you want but the ebay ones are junk. I have seen them last only a few thousand miles. I would rather go to auto zone or napa or something like that. Otherwise you'll be replacing them all the time.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks for the advice, it would be a waste of time and money I guess. I knew it was too good to be true

Your welcome.

Let me know if you have any more questions and please rate my service. Thanks.