A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. ASE Gasoline Engine Performance Certified,Ford Senior Master Technician
14865528

Lincoln MKZ: I just replaced the front seats in my 2010 MKZ,

Customer Question

I just replaced the front seats in my 2010 MKZ, the passenger side works fine but the driver side does not work and the center console does not work (climate control, radio and so forth). There is something about frequency not being the same. Will Ford need to do the fix, or can I purchase a odb type programmer and do it my self. Also what type of scanner or programmer do I need.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  A. Penland replied 2 years ago.
Why did you replace the front seats?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Because I had water that filled up the seat pan and ruined the motors and computers. It was cheaper to purchase complete seats than it was to buy motors and computer.
How high did the water get and also, are those seats identical to yours, besides the upholstery?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The water went up almost to the center console, and yes the seats are identical as the ones I took out (same year, model and features). So you are saying that it should work if they are identical without needing to reprogram the CPU. Ford told me they would have to reprogram the car so the frequencies were the same.
Did yours come with memory seat functions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
The drivers seat module does need to be programed to the vehicle to work.Did you have issues with the console with the original seats?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No it worked fine up to the point I unplugged the seat to remove it. At that point the heat came on full blast and the radio turns on. No control on the panel other than the 4 way flashers and the traction control button (very top of console).
Try unplugging the drivers seat and see if the center controls start working.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I unplugged seat, no fix. It is the same as the first time I unplugged it. With the seat needing reprogrammed, do you have a preferred tool?
I recommend a Ford scan tool the dealerships technicians use. They have access to program and test them properly.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what about the center console?
It may have been the water that effected it also. You may have to remove the center console and inspect the wiring connectors and the RCM (Restraint Control Module) under it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If the RCM was bad, wouldn't give some type of light or some type of error notice? I used an obd/can scanner and it pulled no error codes.The biggest thing is knowing the computer under the seat does not effect the center console. I thought it was all tied together because; when I unpluged the seat (and the cpu under) the center console quit.
You need to have al the modules tested to make sure they are communicating over the network and to each other. Your MKZ have over 10 modules in it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is that different than using an obd/can scanner?
Some modules can do a network test and some cannot.