Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Lincoln
2499435

Lincoln Navigator: how much does this cost

Customer Question

how much does this cost
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 years ago.
The fee is the question value you selected. Can you remove the shift motor, shift the transfer case manually and let me know if yo ucan get it back to 2wd and does it then drive normal? You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
After I remove the shift motor how do I move it manually?
There is a cam sticking out that the shift motor mounts to, turn it with a crescent wrench.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Was able to turn it counter clockwise 2 clicks tried to back out, turn wheels making popping noises. Had someone turn on ignition switch and turn awd, 4x4 h and low switch while I watched to see if motor turn no movement did this prior to turning cam.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Let me give you a little more info. 4x4 light came on about a week before this happen, but still drove fine. I only drive 1 or 2 times per week about 20 miles round trip. Was pulling boat to lake, got a little stuck in yard moved to 4wd h forgot about it went to lake 12 miles. Started up to come home that's when it started making loud popping sounds when I turn the wheel.
The popping noise most likely while turning was the driveline binding because you were getting power to ]the front and rear wheels and they are trying to go different speeds. Can you tell where the noise seems to come from. We may need to remove the front driveshaft, to see if the noise still occurs which will indicate rear axle, or transfer case, or rear driveshaft joint issues.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
coming from the front, noticed the odometer is not working
Remove the front driveshaft and take it for a drive and report back.Are all 4 tires the same brand, size, and age?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Before I do that do you think it could be the front speed sensor. Speed odometer not working
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
After manully turn the cam was I suppose to put shift motor back in if co I didn't do it. Just move to side hooked harness back tried backing out. Should I be able to turn the shift motor with screw driver
The vehicle speed sensor does not come from the front axle.Is the speedometer or odometer faulty?You would of left the shift motor off for this test to see if you could get the truck out out of 4x4.No you can not turn the shit motor, the gear reduction is to much.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes all tires are the same they where low when this occurred after reading some treads I went to ck tire pressure all were low air to 50 psi. but didn't help. removing drive shift will follow up.do I need to put shift motor back.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Removed drive shaft test drove good no popping noises. 😃 now tell me the bad news.
When driving is the popping noise when going straight or when turning or both?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
MOSTLY TURNS
Being its not there with the driveshaft out, that means its not the front axle 90% likely. Your 4x4 what are the setting options auto-2wd-high-low or no 2wd or auto option?So lets stop there and get the shift motor to work and get the vehicle to shift between each transfer case gear selection. Can you do the steps below?I believe its providing power to the front driveline and binding the driveline in these turns. You can leave the driveshaft out so you can use the vehicle till repaired. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/99navigator4x4.pdf
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
DOES IT MATTER IT'S AN ALL WHEEL DRIVE.
No being AWD does not change anything. I have been responding based on the lowest setting automatic 4x4.
.