Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Lincoln

I have a 2000 Lincoln town car, the a/c is inop...the clutch

Customer Question
on the compressor spins freely...
I have a 2000 Lincoln town car, the a/c is inop...the clutch on the compressor spins freely with slight resistance. When I turn the a/c on with the control on the dash the fan under the hood comes on but no compressor. Any ideas?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Lincoln
7/8/2015
Lincoln Mechanic: HDGene, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
HDGene
HDGene, ASE Certified Technician
Hello, do you have power and ground to the ac compressor clutch coil?
Does the car need to be running or can the key just be in the run position with the a/c switched on with the dash?
In order to check for power and ground?
Running
I do not have any voltage at the compressor connector or at what I believe is the transducer on the high side line
Ok do you have battery voltage at the low side cycling switch on the ac accumulator and does the compressor engage if you do and you jumped power across its two wires
I checked the switch with a test light and it lit up but I didn't check for voltage, I didn't try jumping it but I will try that...what can I use to jump it?
A paper clip or piece of wire across the two terminals
I tried jumping the low side switch and nothing happened
Ok and with the switch jumped do you now have power and ground to the compressor clutch coil
No power to the compressor
Here is the wiring schematic. It uses an ac relay to send power to the compressor,is there two power sources at the ac relay with the relay out and engine running and ac on? Do you hear the relay click if you install it
Which one is the junction box, the big or small box?
Found it, I don't hear any clicks when it is installed
Ok just with a test light or volt meter you should have two of the 4 relay pins in the junction box hot with the ac demand on. You can also try taking a different relay such as for the horn and plug it into the ac spot and se if it comes on. Also you can jump power across the relay to the coil side of the relay and see if the compressor kicks on
When I jump the pins with key on and a/c on engine off the clutch moves
I got a new relay and it clicks
Ok so does the ac work mwith the new relay or only when it is jumped?
The a/c kicks on with the new relay...my blower motor stays on all the time even with the temp control panel off, with the control on the speed cant be controlled and there seems to be power continuously going to it
Ok so its working now except for an issue with the blower staying on all the time correct?
Yes it works but the a/c compressor cycles every 10 seconds for about 3 seconds , I assume this may be a charge issue but the blower is staying on all the time and is not affected by the temp control on the dash
Yes most likely low on charge, I would suspect a shorted blower motor controller(blower resistor)
I tried using a can from auto zone and it seems to still be doing the same thing...will a shorted blower controller keep power to the blower motor all the time?
Yes it can, and those cans with the little gauge work so so, if its really low, best thing is to check it for leaks, and evacuate and recharge the system with professional equipment
Everything works now, so I had a bad EATC, clutch relay, and blower motor controller.
Very good, if iM not mistaken Ive assited you on two different questions for this vehicle. Not that it is repaired, please hit accept and leave positive feedback so I get credit for assiting you with this concern
HDGene
HDGene
HDGene, ASE Certified Technician