Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

MY TRANSMISSON IS HARD TO CHANGE GEAR & MAKES NOISE, WHAT IS…

Customer Question
MY TRANSMISSON IS HARD TO...
MY TRANSMISSON IS HARD TO CHANGE GEAR & MAKES NOISE, WHAT IS THE PROBLEM(s)
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Lincoln
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/21/2015
Lincoln Mechanic: EricFromCT, Technician replied 3 years ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Technician
What kind of Lincoln is this? Year, make, model, mileage?
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I prefer you to call me(###) ###-####
Lincoln Mechanic: HDGene, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
HDGene
HDGene, ASE Certified Technician
Hello, need some background information on your vehicle.
What kind of back ground info you need?
WHat kind of lincold is this to start
2004 Lincoln Aviatar
Good morning, just a few more questions.hifter is hard to move and makes noise or it goes into reverse and drive ok but wont upshift properly and making noise from the trans? Trans fluid level full and not smelling burnt? Any warning lights on and have you had it checked for codes with a scan tool?
1st OF ALL , I HAD CHANGE THE SPRING IN THE SHIFTER MYSELF IN DEC 2014. MY TRANSMISSION FLUID CHANGE IN FEB 2015. MY LINCOLN AVIATAR WAS SHIFTING HARD & ROUGH BACK THEN, & KIND OF STOP THAT HARD SHIFTING & NOW STARTING BACK.
Ok so you had an issue with the shifter, but now its basically upshifting between gears, 1-2 2-3 or 34 or hard going into reverse or drive? Its making a noise from the trans as well? Can you post the 17 digit VIN so I can verify which transmission you have, there is a choice of a couple different models for this powertrain
IT DOE NOT MAKE NOISE IN REVERSE, IT SOMETIME JERK INTO GEAR OR MAKE A RUBBING/GRINDING NOISE WHEN CHANGING GEARS. NO I AM GOING TO HAVE THAT ENGINE LIGHT CK OUT THIS AFTERNOON. MY 17 DIGIT VIN 5LMEU88H54ZJ45242.
Ok, you have the 5R55S transmission, it has no dipstick to check the fluid level. Most common cause of a delayed and hrad engagement into reverse and some upshifting issues is the transmission solenoid body pressure control solenoid sticking and causing a delayed engagement. However if you have trans ratio codes stored such as P0732,P0733,P0734,P0735. Then there is a bigger problem with the transmission servo bores. The servo bores over times wear down and cause the transmission band applying servo piston to stick or hang and cause upshifting issues. If those codes are stored then it would require removal of the transmission and disassembly and replacement of the servo bore sleeve pins which sit in the trans case which basically equates to a transmission overhaul or replacement of the trans. Be sure the trans fluid level is full. At normal operating temp you can remove the center torx or allen bolt from the maion trans pan drain bolt. One sits inside the other. With the fluid level correct it should drip out steadily. If no fluid comes out it is low. You would need to push fluid into the inspection bolt hole with a matching threaded piece of pipe thread( A nipple) and a suction gun or lawn sprayer with mercon v trans fluid.