SuperDave
SuperDave, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  over 16 years experience
10552493

Lincoln LS: I have a question about the Miles To Empty reading

Customer Question

I have a question about the Miles To Empty reading on my 2000 Lincoln LS. I had about 10 miles till empty yesterday. I stopped at the gas station yesterday and put $5 (which should have given me about 40 miles). Drove it home (6 miles), and the reading only went up 4 miles. I didn't worry about it because I know when the tank is low it sometimes takes awhile for the reading to register the gas I put in it. I drove it this morning (roundtrip 12 miles), and the reading never went up. I should have 22 miles till empty, but it shows 2 miles till empty. Also, according to the reading, it says the trip I took took less miles than I know it actually takes.
Finally got paid this morning, so I can put a full tank of gas in the car, but I'm afraid to drive it (nearest station is 4 miles away). What is the deal with the miles till empty reading?
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  SuperDave replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer.I will do my best to answer your question.The miles till empty feature is not totally accurate.Even after it is at 0 miles till empty there is still 1 1/2 gallons of gas in the tank.It just warns you ,because you need to get fuel soon.