Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Lincoln LS: I have a question about the Miles To Empty reading…

Customer Question
I have a question about...
I have a question about the Miles To Empty reading on my 2000 Lincoln LS. I had about 10 miles till empty yesterday. I stopped at the gas station yesterday and put $5 (which should have given me about 40 miles). Drove it home (6 miles), and the reading only went up 4 miles. I didn't worry about it because I know when the tank is low it sometimes takes awhile for the reading to register the gas I put in it. I drove it this morning (roundtrip 12 miles), and the reading never went up. I should have 22 miles till empty, but it shows 2 miles till empty. Also, according to the reading, it says the trip I took took less miles than I know it actually takes.
Finally got paid this morning, so I can put a full tank of gas in the car, but I'm afraid to drive it (nearest station is 4 miles away). What is the deal with the miles till empty reading?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Lincoln
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/12/2015
Lincoln Mechanic: SuperDave, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
SuperDave
SuperDave, ASE Certified Technician
Thank you for using Just Answer.I will do my best to answer your question.The miles till empty feature is not totally accurate.Even after it is at 0 miles till empty there is still 1 1/2 gallons of gas in the tank.It just warns you ,because you need to get fuel soon.