Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Lincoln Mark IV: i have a 1976 lincoln mark four. two times…

Customer Question
i have a 1976 lincoln...
i have a 1976 lincoln mark four. two times i have driven the car only nto have it suddenly stop like it ran out of gas . Both times it happened after i drove app. 26 miles.Can you help?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Lincoln
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/6/2015
Lincoln Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Have you changed the fuel filter lately?
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
i am in morristown can you recommend
my phone(###) ###-####
I don't have phone call setup.
can we talk
Talk about what?
what is wrong with the car that i t just stops running as if it wasm out of gas
can you recommend acourse mofm action?
are you responding?
I asked if you replaced the fuel filter and I was waiting for an answer to that. That is what I would start off with. If it's hot where you are and there is a chance of the fuel line vapor locking, I would install a clear fuel filter on top of the engine just before the carb where you can see it and when the engine dies, see if there are air bubbles in the fuel filter indicating a vapor lock.
If you make sure the fuel line isn't running too close to the exhaust and also no exhaust leaks are blowing hot air on that fuel line.
I did all that, there are no air bubbles, the fuel filter is almost on top of the air filter, very visible and not hot
Ok, at this point, I believe you should tell me everything that you have tried so far.
I told my mechanic what happened,he said he could not test drive the car that far(26 miles) wheni
after the car was towed to the mechanic he said the car started and ran without any problems He let it idle for over an hour no problem. He does not know what to do.
Well, I think you are just going to have to be prepared to check for spark and gas the next time it dies and won't start back up immediately. Checking for spark could be done by just pulling off one of the spark plug wires from the spark plug and stick a screwdriver in the end of the wire and set it down so the screwdriver is about 1/8" from a metal ground and look for a spark while cranking.
To check for gas, just remove the air cleaner and look down the carb air horn then snap throttle real fast and look for gas squirting.