HDGene
HDGene, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 year ASE Master Technician & Advanced Drivability L1 Certified Ford Senior Master Technician
285738

Lincoln: I have a 94 town car with obd code 55. Im trying to

Customer Question

I have a 94 town car with obd code 55. Im trying to find out what would cause this.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved. Here is information from manual related to code 55. Let me know if you run into more questions, thanks.
-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5phxxu1tj2tv3j3/55a.pdf?dl=0
-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o5bqmbwvws4il6s/54b.pdf?dl=0
-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w784fezh6qn44b2/55c.pdf?dl=0
-
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I looked at the links you sent, I don't see an explanation of what code 55 represents. Also being this is on a Lincoln Towncar it did come with air ride. It has been removed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I also noticed you didn't ask my symptoms, is this information you need?
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
This DTC indicates that KOER governor Self-Test was not performed correctly. And if that doesn't fix problem it would indicate faulty speed sensor or evo module. I haven't had to deal with this code and am strictly going off what manual is saying. I can open question back up to see if someone else has dealt with this code if you would like. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That would great. I really need to get this fixed
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
No problem, someone will reply automatically if they can help so do not reply to me or question will be locked to me only. Thanks.
Expert:  HDGene replied 2 years ago.
Hello, what is the car doing? Ford manuals dont list a code 55 what kind of scan tool are you using and is this a key on engine off or key on engine running test?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is a 94, I'm having too use flash codes. I have spark and fuel at the rail but no injector pulse. I have either tested or replaced the tps, egr valve, cam and crank sensor, plugs, wires, coil pack, fuel pump, fuel filter, IAC and ignition module.
Expert:  HDGene replied 2 years ago.
Ok, are you sure you are pulling a code 55 by jumping the selt test connector?
Self-Test with Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)
During Self-Test, a DTC is reported by the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL). It will flash the "CHECK ENGINE" or "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" light on the dash panel (Figure 10). A single-digit number of three will be reported by three flashes.
However, a DTC is represented by a two-digit or three-digit number, such as 2-3 or three digit. As a result, the Self-Test DTC of 2-3 will appear on the MIL as two flashes, then, after a two-second pause, the MIL will flash three times.
The Continuous Memory DTCs are separated from the Key On Engine Off DTCs by a six-second delay, a single half-second flash, and another six-second delay.
Thats how fords service manuals describe it. There is no code 55 in the dtc listing. 53 and 56 yes or 553 and 556. So lets make sure you are pulling the code right. But will it run if you spray carb cleaner into the intake and then stall? SPark is good and blue? Check engine light comes on normally when turning the key to on and goes out when cranking? Do you have battery voltage to the red injector plug but a noid light wont flicker?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Because of the slow initial response I ran out of ideas so I pulled the PCM and opened it up. I found a small spot on the board were the silicone had blistered up and there was corrosion under a capacitor. Do you know where I can find a layout of the mother board?
Expert:  HDGene replied 2 years ago.
PCM is not servicable or an internal diagram available, it can be sent out and rebuilt/repaired or replaced only.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was just curious what system this damaged area would effect.
Expert:  HDGene replied 2 years ago.
Most likely the injector driver circuits, the pcm grounds the injectors to fire, they always have batery power to them with the key on. Main thing is why did it fry, possible altenator overcharging for instance. Would have to install a new pcm and check the charging system operation and other codes if any are stored once its running again
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you tell me what all ground straps my vehicle has? I may be missing one.
Expert:  HDGene replied 2 years ago.
not off hand, there are mutliple grounds for the engine,main thing to do is follow back the main negative battery cable and check the harness for any loose or missing/cut ground strap ends or you can add a ground if you think one is missing
Expert:  HDGene replied 2 years ago.
Hello, do you still need help with this concern?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As of now my problem has not been resolved. I determined there is a small bad spot on my PCM and I believe there is a missing ground strap. Unfortunately I don't have the funds to purchase a new PCM and there seems to be no way to be sure a strap is missing. So at this point nothing is resolved.
Expert:  HDGene replied 2 years ago.
Well at least you found a problem with the PCM. I have no way of telling you if a ground strap is missing, only if it was disconnected. Like I mentioned if you think you are missing a ground you can add a ground strap anywhere from the engine to the body/frame.The PCM is not servicable on the technician side of things. Only rebuilders get into disaseembly of the pcm board/replace capacitors etc.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Right
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for trying too help.
Expert:  HDGene replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome, if you need more help just respond back to this thread. If I was helpful please hit accept and leave positive feedback.