Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Lincoln: problem with my 99 everytime I put it in drive it…

Customer Question
problem with my 99 everytime...
problem with my 99 everytime I put it in drive it stalls out it dies the airbag light blinks 3 times then 7 times then there is a beep and it repeats the process 3 times and stopsbut the light stays on and this it has also now has started having a rev limit At about 3000sometimes for 4000the catalytic converters work hard but I just took them off and ran straight pipes You got anyidea
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Lincoln
5/21/2015
Lincoln Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 3 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.

What model car is this?

I can diagnose the air bag light once I know the model, however this can not effect the way an engine runs so that is a separate issue. Since yours stalls in drive that can mean the idle air control valve is possibly faulty, also the trans oil can be low, the converter clutch bad, the torque converter damaged.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

it is a 1999 Lincoln Continental its not throwing any codes all the fluids are fine thus far as extensive damage to the transmission or anything as long as I hold the brake and push you know the gas at the same time I can keep it running and it'll drive but soon as I let off the gas pedal while idle it. Checked idle air control valve taking it off cleaned it tested it put it back on still didn't help

Lincoln Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 2 years ago

The part of IAC that fails is the solenoid, it can not be cleaned nor tested in the manor its failing unless its failed at all times, not able to idle in park, or in D or R or with the AC on.

When it tries to stall in D and you holding both pedals, get the idle down to about 800 and slowly let off on the brake pedal. If its pulling a lot like it wants to move excessive, then the concern with the idle is being caused by the transmission.

For the airbag LFC 37, you need to disconnect the passenger air bag, clean the connector, reconnect and retest. If it still occurs then the air bag needs to be replaced.

The rev limiter issue was that in drive driving or in park. There is a rev limiter in park. Can you use throttle and brake to prevent it from stalling in drive. If so, see if the trans is pulling more than it should with the idle speed around 800, if so then there concern is the torque converter or in the transmission for the stalling issue.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician