Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Lincoln aviator: 2005 Lincoln Aviator Intertior Lights do not…

Customer Question
2005 Lincoln Aviator Intertior Lights...
2005 Lincoln Aviator Intertior Lights do not come on when door opens. When turning lights on via dimmer switch they are very dim and everything starts pulsating on and off, Dash lights gauges and even AC fan start pulsating an even steady pulse on and off and I can hear a relay or something clicking. Any Ideas? How can I troubleshoot this, I assume it is a short. Fuse 25 under hood is supposed to be a 10A fuse and it looks like someone put a 25A fuse in its place and it gets HOT
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Lincoln
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/19/2015
Lincoln Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 3 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.
Fuse 25 is a 20 amp, used by the power point for plugged in accessories.
Open the file below to see the test
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/05aviator%20testG.pdf
I think we need to first off remove the grounds and sand them, the ones associated with the courtesy lamps. Ground 205 behind the left cowl next to the drivers left foot.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris
I am sorry, I meant, Fuse 15, It is supposed to be 10A and is 25A, The manual states Fuse 15 as courtesy lights and several other things. I will dig out my volt meter, and start by sanding the ground, tonight and follow your instructions. Thanks!
Ok, I took the ground loose, "next to the hood release" and sanded front, back, and the washer on the bolt, No Change in behaviour.To make sure we understand each other and that I am being clear:
1. Interior lights do not come on when door is open, However Door is ajar warning works fine.
2. When Aviator is not running I can turn on interior lights with dimmer switch but lights are very dim.
3. When Aviator is running and dash / instrument cluster lights are on and I turn on interior lights, I hear a relay clicking about every 1 second, and Interior lights, Instrument Cluster lights, and several other things start flashing on and off with the rhythm of the relay that I hear clicking. I can also hear AC fan speed up and slow down. It is as if the relay makes a connection and there is a short which draws down the AC fan along with making all lights go out, and then the relay releases and everything is OK again for 1 second until the relay kicks back in.I assume it is a short, I am looking at the document you sent and while it talks about circuits, 1034 (BK/WH) and 1404 (YE) I do not know how to reference these circuits to specific wires to test.Again, the ground wire is now sanded and there is a good connection.Thanks!
Thanks for completing that step.
If you put a 10amp in fuse 15. Does it blow when the car is started or when the courtesy lamps are turned on?
During this, what is voltage on fuse 17 under the dash?
The 10A Fuse will Blow when the Door is opened, it will also blow when using the dimmer switch to turn on lights. which makes the Instrument cluster dead. In order to see if the fuse will blow when starting the car, I rolled the window down and close the door before replacing the fuse. I reach in to start the car and the fuse does not blow. Until I open the door or turn the lights on again.I put the 25A fuse back in under the hood and tested 17 under the dash shows a voltage of 11.75 when I turn on the lights without the car running.
Thanks, ***** ***** got 11.75 volts, what was the battery voltage. There is an electrical short, and this high map fuse has most likely caused even more damage to the wiring.
Next we need to remove all the bulbs that come on with the door open and tray another correct amp fuse.
Battery Reads 12.69 Volts, I will start removing Bulbs shortly and be back with results.
Thanks, ***** ***** the diagram I will be using once I get the bulb removed information.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/05aviator%20INTlights.pdf
I removed left and right floor lights under dash, 2 front dome bulbs, middle dome bulb, rear dome bulb and lift gate bulb and the 10A fuse still blows.
Next can you unplug the instrument cluster and the HVAC. You can reinstall the bulbs, they are not to blame.
Ok, No change after unpluging hvac and insturment cluster.
Yuck, that means its the wiring that is shorted.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/c263.pdf
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/c2631.pdf
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/c2632.pdf
Remove pin 58 red/white from connector 263 and try the correct fuse again, so we can in hopes narrow down part of the circuit.
There are two very large connectors, 1 is up high, just behind the dimmer switch to the far left, and 1 is at the back closer to the firewall a little lower, I am having trouble deciding which one is C263.
Us the pin chart with wire colors to match the wire colors to see if your on the correct connector.