Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Lincoln
2499435

I am AL. I have a lincoln navigator that wont start

Customer Question

Category: Lincoln
Expert:  A. Penland replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.I will try my best to help you with your question.
1. What year Navigator?
2. Does the engine crank over by the starter but not fire up or does it not crank over by the starter?
3. What have you already tried to fix the problem?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
2002
as soon as starter engages everything shuts off and the door locks actuate etc.
Checked battery voltage output. 12.96 v and tested starter solenoid on firewall.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Engine died while cruising at 40 mph with no warning or noises
What does the battery voltage drop to when the starter engages?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
working alone and could not check. Not in same location as vehicle presently
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the starter bendix drive engages flex plate but will not turn engine
Your battery could have the voltage, but the starter requires cranking amps. On your battery there should be the decal that states the Cold Cranking Amps (CCA). I think yours should be 750 CCA or 650 CCA.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yep. 650
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I jumped it with another vehicle and same result
Have the battery tested and also the starter. Check the battery cables. Make sure they are clean and tight with no corrosion between the cables and the battery post.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Driving down the road and the engine dies, I put it in N as I was rolling and would not crank.
Stopped vehicle and then the current condition began.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
cleaned all terminals and leads to solenoid with soft wire brush, including the firewall engine ground straps.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Usually keep these things clean myself. So was not much to clean
Ok. Have the battery tested. Also the charging system.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I suspect the starter is bad. But I don't want to start replacing parts.
The factory THeft deterrent system is of concern as the system shuts down as soon as the
starter activates by ignition key. When I bridge solenoid with a jumper it seems as though it wants to
turn a little stronger but not enough to move the engine
Also check the coolant level, check the oil condition and level.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Done.
All are sufficient. no cross contamination of oil into coolant nor reverse.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there a condition that you are aware of that the starter fails causing engine to shut off?
Any fuse or relay, in my understanding would prevent the starter from getting power or low voltage signal from ignition
switch?
See if you can crank the engine over by hand at the crankshaft pulley.
If the motor has internally failed or broken, that will cause the engine to turn off and cause the no crank concern.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
painfully aware of this reality. However when jumpering across starter relay solenoid it was moving a little before the elec system shuts down. It acts like a loose or corroded battery cable but I have inspected and cleaned all
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there any other shut down conditions beside the inertia switch for fuel pump?
Ok. Have the battery tested properly for the CCA. Also, try hand cranking the engine over. Also, test the starter.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok gotta go tow truck waiting, wish I could have been more informative.
No problem. It is not diagnosing a vehicle without actually seeing it personally.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.
I see you have opted to get another tech. Would you like me to try and help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes,I would appreciate your help with my problem
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you available to help
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Am I doing something wrong here? Trying to ask a question and not getting response?
Being the starter engages but is unable to spin the engine. This is a possible sign the engine is locked up, the AC compressor is locked up, or the engine is hydro locked. With the front 4 spark plugs removed and the belt removed, will it now crank?
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Excellent. I really appreciate the level of clarity you have provided so far, I am encouraged greatly by your outlook and communication skills already. Now, I won't talk bad about anyone but I did not do well with last Expert. Next, I am going to remove the serpentine belt and see if it turns, manually first and then by starter (with ignition signal wire disconnected). I will update after that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Against 35 years of experience and knowledge I went ahead and replaced the starter on Friday but it did nothing to change the current condition of the vehicle. I will be about an hour or so before reconnecting to this website to confer with you. Thanks again.
Al
I am going to be off and an on for the next 9 hours, minus dinner, haircut at home, and shower. Talk to you shortly.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Seized up rock solid. Removed serpentine belt and used pipe as cheater bar. No movement at all.
Okay, lets remove the plugs and try again. If it still will not turn then the engine is ruined.
Glad I could help, sorry about the news.
Were you pleased with my help, do you still need more assistance.