Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Lincoln Technician
Experience:  Lincoln Senior Master
9600325

Lincoln Navigator: I have an 05 Navigator. The range sensor

Customer Question

I have an 05 Navigator. The range sensor went out of the valve body. Had to replace valve body. Since replacing it my cruise control and back up indicator has quit working. My personal seat adjuster, power hatch and power back seat will not work while vehicle is running. Have to shut it off the work them. Also I have the 6 speed transmission and sometimes it will not shift. I have to shift over into D4 and back into D6 in order for it to shift on up into overdrive. Have had it reprogrammed twice by authorized dealers. What is going on?
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is***** and thanks for your question.
Sounds like the shifter cable is out of adjustment or the hard-shell bulkhead connector sleeve was not fully seated into the transmission case after the valve body was installed. Those are about the only things that can cause all of these symptoms. If the connector sleeve was not fully seated it can cause intermittent connection issues in the TR circuit. The first step is to get a scanner on the vehicle and see if the TR is sending correct data signals to the PCM for each gear range selected. From there it can be determined if its an adjustment or a loss of signal issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Evetyrhing is in the valve body on this transmission. This is the German transmission. Valve body is not serviceable. Have had scanners connected and all signals are being sent.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 2 years ago.
I have tons of experience with the 6HP26 German transmission manufactured by ZF transmission. I understand where the TR sensor is located. Its actually not a valve body but a mechatronic assembly. The PCM sends inhibit signals for the liftgate and rear seats based on gearshift position with the engine running. It also inhibits speed control if it does not have a valid TR gear position indicated. That and the reverse lights not working all point to the TR sensor not being received by the PCM. If the tech is absolutely positive that the signals are being received by the PCM then I would say the PCM itself is faulted. Either that or there is a can bus communication issue between the PCM and TCM. The TR provides the signal to the TCM which is part of the mechatronic. The Mechatronic TCM then sends this signal to the PCM over the CAN BUS network. I hope the tech is not monitoring the signal from the TCM. It needs to be monitored from the PCM. Its very common for the sleeve not to be fully seated in the transmission case. If the sleeve is not fully seated it is very obvious. While grasping the connector and lifting up and down on it there should be no movement from the sleeve it should feel very solid. If it moves up and down then the sleeve is not fully seated and the locking slide tab on the mechatronic missed the grooves on the sleeve. Another way to check the sleeve would be to have the key on with the shifter in reverse with the vehicle raised. Then attempt to move the connector while someone monitors the reverse lights. If they light up when moving the connector then its guaranteed the sleeve is not seated correctly. Seen it many times.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have gotten a chance to check the sleeve. It is in there tight. When I had it worked on Wednesday by an authorized mechanic at a Ford dealer he said the PCM was good. No problems. They reprogrammed some things that were out of sync. Nothing helped. I couldn't afford to leave it for further analysis. The back up lights work but not the back up indicator beeper.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 2 years ago.
If the back up lights work then the PCM is seeing the signal for sure.
At this point all of the other symptoms are going to have to be diagnosed individually. I was hoping it was all related to one problem. This is to much for me to tackle over the web. I will opt out and see if another expert wants to take a shot at it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. I have also noticed since it is getting warm and we have started using the AC, when it will not shift and I have to slide the shifter over into D4 and back that the AC quits working until it shifts.