Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Lincoln
2499435

I have a very nice-looking 2004 Lincoln Aviator with 100K miles.

Customer Question

I have a very nice-looking 2004 Lincoln Aviator with 100K miles. Runs great except has grinding noise coming from the rear. An independent trans guy aid it was the differential, and that he did not have the equipment necessary to repair it. He said it would have to be a Lincoln Dealer to repair.
Does this sound right to you, if so, what would you estimate the cost would be @ a dealership?
Thanks, Jim
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Ronnie replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.Unfortunately yes this dose sound correct, in most cases the noise your hearing is caused by worn bearing (pinion, and carrier bearing) and providing the Pinion and ring gear are okay you looking at a rear diff rebuild . The cost to remove and replace the bearing will run you about $800 to $1000 ball park and can vary a little depending on what they find worn once its been trow down.