Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Lincoln_vehicle_mechanic
20625509

My 2008 Lincoln MKX radiator fan does not come on when vehicle

My 2008 Lincoln MKX radiator fan does not come on when vehicle is stopped idleing for long periods of time causing the engine to overheat. Is there a defective sensor ?

Well let's take a look at the wiring diagram, click here without trailer tow and here with.

Let's test the fuse first with a 12 volt test light or voltmeter. That will be the F5 or F5 and F6 depending on with or without tow.

Let me know how that goes first.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the fuse appears to be ok. What's next ?

What do you mean appears? Are you just looking at it or testing it? You must test it with a 12 volt test light or voltmeter.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it was tested - sorry bad choice of words.

Ok, next move on to test the violet/gray wire at the cooling fan module. It should have 12 volts all the time.
Does the check engine light remain on? If so check for a P0480 code- Fan 1 Control Circuit.
Actually test for any of these, P0480, P0481, P0482, P1474, P1477 or P1479
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Check engine lite does not come on
Ok, this is up to you. If you feel like just trying a new cooling fan module or testing i. I found some procedures, click here and here. I started at KF.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok thanks for your help.

Don't forget to rate my work.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry we had to go and wasn't able to test the violet/grey wire. I will not be able to test it until this eve. I know you want to get paid so I can go ahead and rate to finish. Thanks