Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Lincoln Mark VIII: Hello Experts!I recently prchased a

Customer Question
Hello Experts! I recently prchased a...
Hello Experts!

I recently prchased a 1993 Mark VIII with 95K miles, and I think I have transmission-related problems. This is my third Mark, and it seems to have been pretty well-taken care of, otherwise. The symptoms are:

- Engine idles very high in Park when I start the car, and usually (but not always) when I return it to Park or Neutral before turning off. Idle is fine when in Drive or Reverse.

- Fast idle usually subsides after a minute and I can shift into gear. If I shift before then, I chirp the wheels.

- When in Drive, it is usually okay until I get to 38mph...if I have to slow down while in second gear, when I press the accelerator again the engine winds inefficiently. When I do get back up to 38mph it does shift. (I've started dropping into manual 1st and 2nd gear until I'm over 40mph, then shift into Drive).

- Once on the highway, it stays in either 3rd or (maybe) 4th gear with high RPMs throughout. I can't tell exactly how high, as I believe the previous owner disconnected the tachometer. I don't think I've been able to get it into 5th even at 70mph. After about a month of mostly-hwy driving, I'm only averaging 10mph.

I've checked the transmission fluid and it seems pretty new, although I don't know what type it is. It was filled too high when I got the car, and the fluid was aerating. I've drained it to a correct level to prevent more problems, but I don't think it's had any effect on the existing ones.

Any direction would be appreciated. I'm not a mechanic, but I've read into this a little bit so that, while I don't think there's anything I myself can/would do to fix it, having some advice would help when I do take it somewhere for repair.

Many thanks!
Randy K.
Pittsburgh
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Lincoln
3/1/2012
Lincoln Mechanic: al-mod,
 replied 6 years ago
al-mod
Hi, I’m a Moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Yes, still waiting for an answer. Thanks.
Lincoln Mechanic: al-mod,
 replied 6 years ago
Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.
Lincoln Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 6 years ago
Matt, Engineer
Hello Randy

This could be an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and can lean the engine out and can also allow the engine to rev up when not desired causing rough running.
As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometimes hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running.

Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.
Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

It’s also worth getting the fuel pressure checked as if this is low due to a blocked filter or faulty regulator or even a poorly pump will all result in insufficient fuel being delivered to the engine

Might also be worth cleaning out the idle speed control motor / valve as these get clogged up with carbon and some brake cleaner washed through helps free things off.

Might also be worth checking the wiring and connector to the airflow meter for any signs of corrosion or damage. you can do a quick fault find if you unplug the meter and run the engine without it.
if the engine condition is the same then chances are the meter or the connection to it is faulty

Air leaks are very temperature dependent as gaps can open or close up as things expand with heat, so the weather and engine temperature can effect them.

This leads them to be quite intermittent in the case of mild leaks

its also worth cleaning the airflow meter by removing it from the car and spraying the exposed sensor wires inside the tube with a brake or switch cleaner - ensure that the cleaner is one of the old fashioned, non Eco type that does not leave a residue

On no account touch the sensor wires with anything physical as they are extremely fragile
Matt, Engineer
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I will check all of these things. Randy
No problem

just get back to me on this post if I can help further