Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

1993 Lincoln Town Car: gets hot..see three vacuum pods..hvac..controls…

Customer Question
I have a 1993 Lincoln...
I have a 1993 Lincoln Town Car. I cant get any air to come out of the defroster vents. The air gets hot, The blower works, and I can see three vacuum pods outside of the HVAC unit that all move when the controls are switched from A/C to defrost and from floor to vent. The controls all seem to be doing what they are supposed to, but nothing comes out of the defroster and very little comes out of the floor vents. Are there more Vacuum Pods inside the unit?
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Lincoln
12/2/2011
Lincoln Mechanic: 6Bucs, Ford Technician replied 10 years ago
6Bucs
6Bucs, Ford Technician
Hi, James here. This is an illustration of the portion of the air distribution plenum for your concern. There is a floor/defrost distribution duct, door, crank arm, and vacuum motor. If you can observe the motor working and the crank arm moving, then its possible that the floor/air door, or the plenum where it attaches is broken. You should be able to feel in there with the lower screws (illustrated) removed to verify if the door is secure and moving. graphic
I removed the floor vent and the door is moving. But the air is not getting that far.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Lincoln Mechanic: Chuck, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 years ago
Chuck
Chuck, ASE Certified Technician

On this vehicle in the defrost position the default is no vacuum to any of the vacuum motors on the heater case. In other words the only vacuum you should have when set to defrost is the black hose feeding the control head and no vacuum on any of the other colored lines to the vacuum motors.

Here is a pic of this

graphic

Vacuum Control Chart

PORTFUNCTIONMODE LEVER POSITIONHOSE COLOR
OFFMAXNORMVENTFLOORMIXDEF
1RECIRC-F/AVVAAAAAWHITE
2FULL FLOORVVVVVAARED
3PANELAVVVAAABLUE
4DEF-FLOORVVVVVVAYELLOW
5
6SSSSSSS
7SOURCEVVVVVVVBLACK
8SSSSSSS
9SSSSSSS
  • V = VACUUM
  • A = VENT TO ATMOSPHERE
  • S = SEALED

If you do not have vacuum to any of the motors and it still does not blow thru defroster then you have a stuck door see the door on the left of the pic I sent

Chuck
Chuck, ASE Certified Technician