Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Lincoln Mark VIII: We have a 97 lincoln mark 8. The only way…

We have a 97 lincoln...
We have a 97 lincoln mark 8. The only way to get any heat inside the car is to increase the climate control to 90 degrees (maximum). I noticed that even when set at 90 that the a/c compressor is running. The temp in the car at the time was about 60. Is it normal for the a/c compressor to run all the time. I know it wouldn't in a lot of cars but didn't know if Lincoln was using it to reduce humidity or something. The acuator motor that moves the heat damper moves back and forth as expected as you increase and decrease the temperature setting, but the a/c seems to be overpowering the heat at all but the 90 degree setting. any ideas as to what component to change and where it may be located?
11/13/2011
Lincoln Mechanic: SuperDave, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 years ago
SuperDave
SuperDave, ASE Certified Technician
if you put air flow to the floor the a/c compressor should turn off.the compressor will continue to run on defrost, that is to reduce humidity.

so what component is the most likely cause of not having any climate control. As I said the only way to get heat is to set the temp at 90 then you have max heat, any other temp setting produces no heat at all. Not exactly the comfort Lincoln designed into the system.

Dale

Relist: Incomplete answer.
Wondering if there is a control module or temperature sensor that could be faulty and causing the previously described problem, and where it would be located. The digital display goes up and down as it should, I can adjust the blower speed as expected, the damper actuator moves back and forth ok, but still no heat till the setting gets up to 90 degrees.
Lincoln Mechanic: Chuck, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 years ago
Chuck
Chuck, ASE Certified Technician

If you have full heat on 90 degrees but no heat in any other setting the most likely problem is the in car temp sensor.When you have it set at 90 degrees this bypasses the automatic temp control and puts it to full heat.Since you do have heat at 90 then this eliminates the actuator as the problem and lets you know that the problem is either the temp sensors or the control head itself.

To check the sensor measure the resistance across it and you should have the following readings:.

10-20°C (50-68°F) 37K-58K ohms, 20-30°C (68-86°F) 24K-37K ohms, 30-40°C (86-104°F) 16K-24K ohms?

You can also take a voltage reading across the sensor, press the automatic button on then take a voltage reading across the sensor and it should be between :

Connect a voltmeter between the in-car temperature sensor connector C250, Circuits 790 (W/O) and 470 (PK/BK).

• Is the voltage between 4.8 and 5.1 volts?

You can also try doing a self test on the control head itself:

Electronic Automatic Temperature Control Unit Self-Test

• The EATC self-test will detect concerns in the system control functions and will display diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) in addition to intermittent diagnostic trouble codes for concerns that occur during system operation. The vehicle interior temperature should be between 16-26°C (60-80°F) when performing the self-test. If the temperatures are not within the specified ranges, false in-car temperature sensor DTCs will be displayed. Record all DTCs displayed.
  • If any DTCs appear during the self-test, follow the diagnostics procedure given under ACTION for each DTC given.
  • If a condition exists but no DTCs appear during the self-test, refer to the Symptom Chart Condition: EATC System Inoperative, Intermittent or Improper Operation.
  • The self-test can be initiated at any time with any resulting DTCs displayed. Normal operation of the system stops when the self-test is activated.
  • To enter the self-test, press the OFF and FLOOR buttons simultaneously and then press the AUTOMATIC button within two seconds. The display will show a pulse tracer going around the center of the display window. The test may run as long as 30 seconds.
  • To exit self-test and retain DTCs, push the blue (cooler) button. The control will exit self-test, retain all diagnostic trouble codes and then turn OFF (display blank).
  • To exit self-test and clear all diagnostic trouble codes, press the DEFROST button. The vacuum fluorescent display window will show 888 and all function symbols for one second. Then, the EATC control assembly will turn OFF (display blank) and all DTCs will be cleared.

Thank you for the helpful information and the resistance measurements for the temperature sensor. Could you tell me where the temperature sensor is located? And aslo, where to find out what the trouble codes (DTC) mean.

The temp sensor is behind the center finish panel on the dash here is a couple of pics of it

graphic

Remove the center finish panel from the instrument panel

graphic

Remove the in-car temperature sensor from the center finish panel by pushing in on the retaining tabs

Here is a list of the codes

Electronic Automatic Temperature Control (EATC) Module Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Index
NGS DTCEATCDescriptionDTC caused byAction to Take
Self-Test Faults(Intermittent) Run-Time Faults
B1249024022Blend Door Short
025Blend Door FailureEATCGO to DTC B1249.
B1251031N/AA/C In-Car Temperature Sensor Open CircuitEATCGO to DTC B1251.
B1253030N/AA/C In-Car Temperature Sensor Short to GroundEATCGO to DTC B1253.
B1255041043A/C Ambient Temperature Sensor Open CircuitEATCGO to DTC B1255.
B1257040042A/C Ambient Temperature Sensor Short to GroundEATCGO to DTC B1257.
B1261050052A/C Solar Radiation Sensor Circuit Short to GroundEATCGO to DTC B1261.
U1041N/A125SCP Invalid or Missing Data for Function Read Vehicle SpeedPCMRefer to Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis Manual.
U1073N/A115SCP Invalid or Missing Data for Engine CoolantPCMRefer to Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis Manual.
U1222N/A135SCP Invalid or Missing Data for Interior LampsSCILGO to Section 417-02 , Inspection and Verification to continue diagnosis.
U1235N/A155SCP Invalid or Missing Data for DisplaysMCInvalid code, do not service.

Chuck
Chuck, ASE Certified Technician