Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Lincoln

1998 Lincoln town car: 2 of the spark plugs had oil..removing

I have a 1998 Lincoln...
I have a 1998 Lincoln towncar, I noticed that 2 of the spark plugs had oil on the bottom after removing them. What is that a sign of and what do I have to do to correct it? Thanks, Victor
4/9/2011
Davehop
Davehop, Ford Master Technician
Hello and welcome to JA, which cylinders had the oil soaked spark plugs?
It is the 2 closest to the firewall on the drivers side, the one closest to the wall had more oil on it.
ok, the number 7 and 8 cylinders will always burn more oil than the other 6 cylinders, this is a common trait of not only the 4.6L and the 5.4L, but it goes back to the 5.0L engine as well. This does not mean you have engine damage, just characteristic of these engines.
OK, I will drive it for a few days, and then I will pull the plug and check to see if there is any more oil on them.
have you rechecked those spark plugs?
not yet yet this thursday I will check it, and let you know.
ok
I checked it today due to running bad turns out it is a misfire and thought it was on that cylinder, it wasn't and also no oil on the plugs.I took it to auto zone and the computer read misfire on 4 and 5 any ideas what could cause this just out of the blue?
Your most likely concern is that the coils for those 2 cylinders are shorted and need replacing, its a coincidence that they went out on you, not from something you did. Replace those 2 coils and recheck it.
Davehop
Davehop, Ford Master Technician
OK, I will let you know how it worked out thursday. Thanks

ok, let me know, I"ll be here.

I replaced the two coils, they were both cracked on the sides and the car is running just fine now, thanks for all your help.
I forgot to ask how to clear the engine llight

just go to auto zone and they will do it for free

Hi Dave, the towncar is running fine now, but I noticed another problem. When I step on the brake pedal it pulsates and am wondering what the most likely cause would be?
Usually when the brake pedal pulsates the rotors are out of round, meanin g it could be time to have the brakes checked. As the brake pads wear, so do the brake rotors, and the rotors will become uneven, and cause the brake caliper to move very quickly, this movement is transmitted through the brake fluid, back to the master cylinder and into the brake pedal, also the steering wheel may vibrate, which will indicate that the front brakes are causing the problem, have the brakes checked for wear, and serviced as needed.
Thanks, I will check tommorow and let you know.
Hello Dave, I didn't get a chance yet to check things out, I will let you know next week.Thanks, Victor
ok
Davehop
Davehop
Davehop, Ford Master Technician