Chuck
Chuck, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ford senior master,ASE Master L1 Certified
17659378

1998 Lincoln Town Car: blows heated..blend door..actuator

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Lincoln Town Car that blows heated air all the time.. I have determined that the blend door is not working and know that I will have to remove the plenum chamber to get the actuator. I am ok with all that..Although I nearly 70 years old, I am still (Thankfully) capable of doing that job.. ( owned a repair facility for 40 years and still have a lot of the tools.)

I was able to unplug the existing blend door actuator and plug a new actuator into the harness without actually installing it in the plenem. My purpose was to determine if the ATC contrller was working.. Much to my chagrin, I find that the new actuator motor runs in one direction any time that the ignition is turned on. Pushing various function buttons on the controller has no effect.. The actuator strongly, it can't be stopped. I have even tried a slight pressure on the shaft with pliers to see if I could change it'w behavior.. No luck.. So now my question ism do you think the controll is defective and is there anyway to determine if it is good or bad, short of hooking up the appropriate scanners, which I no longer have. Are there pin point tests that would determine if the contol is good or bad.. John Busch
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Chuck replied 6 years ago.

Chuck :

John: you can run a self test from the control head itself.Here are the instructions for doing thiss.

Chuck :

Electronic Automatic Temperature Control Module Self-Test

• The EATC module self-test will not detect concerns associated with data link messages like engine coolant temperature or vehicle speed signals. A NGS tester must be used to retrieve these concerns.
  • The EATC module self-test will detect concerns in the system control functions and will display hard diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) in addition to intermittent diagnostic trouble codes for concerns that occur during system operation. The vehicle interior temperature should be between 4°-32°C (40-90°F) when performing the self-test. If the temperatures are not within the specified ranges, false in-car temperature sensor DTCs will be displayed.
  • The self-test can be initiated at any time. Normal operation of the system stops when the self-test is activated.
  • To enter the self-test, press the OFF and FLOOR buttons simultaneously and then press the AUTOMATIC button within two seconds. The display will show a pulse tracer going around the center of the display window. The test may run as long as 30 seconds. Record all DTCs displayed.
  • If any DTCs appear during the self-test, follow the diagnostics procedure given under ACTION for each DTC given.
  • If a condition exists but no DTCs appear during the self-test, refer to the Symptom Chart Condition: The EATC System Is Inoperative, Intermittent or Improper Operation.
  • To exit self-test and retain all intermittent DTCs, push the blue (cooler) button. The control will exit self-test, retain all intermittent diagnostic trouble codes and then turn OFF (display blank).
  • To exit the self-test and clear all DTCs, press the DEFROST button. The vacuum fluorescent display window will show 888 and all function symbols for one second. Then, the EATC control assembly will turn OFF (display blank) and all DTCs will be cleared.
  • Always exit the self-test before powering the system down (system turned OFF).
  • Intermittent DTCs will be deleted after 80 ignition switch ON cycles after the intermittent condition occurs
Chuck :

Here is the code chart,you will go by the codes in 2nd column for hard faults and the 3rd for intermitant

Chuck :

Here are the wiring schematics if that helps you

Chuck :

Here are the connector pin outs

Chuck :

To drive the actuator full cold

Chuck :

Connect a jumper lead between the EATC module connector Pins C227-26, Circuit 246 (P) and C281-2, Circuit 729 (R/W). Connect a second jumper lead between the EATC module connector Pins C227-13, Circuit 245 (BR/LG) and C281-3, Circuit 57 (BK).

Chuck :

To drive it full hot

Chuck :

Connect a jumper lead between the EATC module connector Pins C227-13, Circuit 245 (BR/LG) and C281-2, Circuit 729 (R/W). Connect a second jumper lead between the EATC module connector Pins C227-26, Circuit 246 (P) and C281-3, Circuit 57 (BK).

Chuck :

Hot will be CC cold clockwise