Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Lincoln

2002 lincoln ls: removing..replacing..the alternator..two bolts

I am having a hard...
I am having a hard time removing replacing the alternator on 2002 lincoln ls . I have taken two bolts from the bottom out and 1 bolt from the top out but seems that something else is holding it in . Need help. Mike
3/5/2011
Shawn
Shawn, Technician
HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today with your question.

Below are the alternator replacement instructions directly from Ford on how to replace the alternator, in pdf format, (just click on the link below).

Alternator—3.9L Replacement Instructions Click Here

I have got all the bolts out and the thing still will not come out. what am I mising???
it will onley move so much and stop. I have tripple checked that I have all 3 bolts out and i do.
mike
HiCustomer

Thank you for the reply, you must disconnet the A/C suction line hold down and move to the rear for easier access, (see diagram below).

graphic
thats not the problem, just getting it out of the cradle is the problem i am having it wont even move enough to come close to the a/c line.
HiCustomer

-Have you removed the air filter inlet tube?

-What is the alternator hanging up on?
yes I have removed the air filter tube. It is hard to explain it wont come out of the top mount but will move side to side on the lower mount (very little)
there is got to be a trick to it and I need a experienced lincoln tech that has done lots of alternator R&R's
mike
HiCustomer

Thank you for the reply, you may try using a flat blade screwdriver to pry the ear out of the mounting tab, the can build up corrosion and actually hold it in place,(see diagam below).

graphic
thats what i thought i even sprayed it with penetrating oil and used pry bars to move it in and out and still nothing

mike

mike

Hi mike,

Based on your description, if the bolt has been removed then that is what is hangin up on you, try more penetrating oil as well as a little more gentle persuasion, and patience. It will eventually budge.
ok I will try that .
thanke you for your time

mike
Hi mike,

Sounds good, that is most likely the problem, if the answer has been helpful then please don't forget to click on the ACCEPT button, so that I may get credit for my time, thanks again.
Shawn
Shawn, Technician
OK, I finally replaced the alternator. I still have a check charging system light on. The battery at rest is 12.5 v With everything on lights,heater etc and fast idle it reads 13.6 v <br />When I bought the alt ( Remy new ) we checked it at the store and it was 14.5 v. I am going to store and have the old one checked. Do you have any suggestions . Mike<br /><br />I had the old one checked at autozone and it passed .  So when the old alt. was in the car the new battery went completely dead while we were driving  We put another battery in the car and it started up and ran fine , so we made it home. When I got home I checked the battery and it was not charging with engine running at the battery. So it must be cable problem from the engine to the battery, which is in the trunk on the LS. Where do I start looking. New battery new alternator right now charging at the battery 13.6 v at fast idle accessories on.  Check charging system Light still on . There is a Cable junction on the passenger side behind the front wheel inner fender. It is tight and looks clean. What else can I look for.
Relist: Other.
I have waited for two days for answer . I need an answer please...
Shawn
Shawn
Shawn, Technician