CTLincolnTech
CTLincolnTech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ford Lincoln Mercury Certified
9926638

2000 Lincoln: LS...4th or 5th gear...the transmission feels..hesitates

Just bought a 2000 Lincoln LS. When I am just starting from a stopped position and the car is in 4th or 5th gear...the transmission feels "jerky" kinda hesitates. What do you think would be causing this?
Chat Conversation Started
CTLincolnTech :

Hello, The Lincoln LS were known to have transmission problems and it can range from a bad solenoid pack all the way to a bad transmission case. Since you just bought the vehicle, What I would first recommend is disconnecting the battery in the trunk for about 10 minutes. This shoudl reset the computers. The car can learn the way people drive and you may just drive different than the previous owner and this can reset it. If that does not work, It will need to go to a dealer or a transmission shop for further testing as I would not be able to tell you exactly what is wrong from where I am at without looking at the vehicle myself.

Customer:

Thank you for that. I will certainly try this. What about this "spring on the 4-3 prestroke valve" I have been reading about in online blogs?

CTLincolnTech :

There is a spring or piston in the side of the transmission case that can break and score/damage the case and the transmission will need to be replaced which could be the problem.

Customer:

I read that the spring issue cost less than $100 to fix. Lots of people have done this that have had the same issue as I have described.

CTLincolnTech :

If they are talking about the same spring/piston I am, They may just be replacing the piston and that is only half the fix and it may or may not cure the problem. I have replaced just the piston on one occassion and it has worked. You can always try if that is indeed the problem.

Customer:

I just tested the battery thing and it worked! Thank you SOOOO much CTLincoln!

CTLincolnTech :

Glad I could help and hopefully you have no further problems.

Customer:

Just to be safe I am still going to take it in and have it checked out. Never hurts to be safe and catch something before it gets worse!

CTLincolnTech :

Exactly and that is what I tell many customers. Rather take it on now then be stuck in the middle of no where when it could have been prevented.

Customer:

Thanks again man...you ROCK STAR!

CTLincolnTech :

Your welcome