Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

PO174 and PO171 - for a 2003 Lincoln Navigator - what does…

PO174 and PO171 - for...
PO174 and PO171 - for a 2003 Lincoln Navigator - what does these mean?
6/29/2010
Ronnie
Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Ronnie :

Hello

Customer:

Customer:

I have a 2003 Lincoln Nav. and the error reading is P0174 and P0171 - what does this mean?

Ronnie :

The codes P0171 and P0174 are lean codes for bank one (passenger side) and bank 2 (drivers side) and on your 2003 theses codes are usually set due to a leaking vacuum supply line to the PCV valve. This will also cause the idle to be poor, lets start with locating the PCV valve in the rear of the passenger side valve cover and with you hand, follow the line around to the back of the upper intake where it connects, there is a rubber elbow that usually rots out and it leaking.

Ronnie :

If this is the case and its most likely, you will need to replace the elbow. Very common problem on the 5.4.

Customer:

Just incase is there any other thing that could be wrong if it is not the elbow?

Customer:

Is it a clear 90? My husband is looking for it.

Customer:

Is the elbow a clear plastic elbow this is about a 1/4 inch big?

Ronnie :

No its black rubber and its hard to find as the top of the intake is very hard to access.

Ronnie :

Have him follow the line around to the top rear of the upper intake. He will have to feel it out to find it.

Customer:

What size is the elbow as he is saying there are a few different hoses he is feeling.

Ronnie :

Its a 3/8 fitting.

Customer:

Thank you - he'll have to search for this elbow as he said the motor is so hard to feel around. If by chance it is not this elbow as the issue - any other advice you can give?

Ronnie
Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician
Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
In 99% of all cases it the elbow, have him grip the PCV hose and follow it by hand around to where it connects . Let me know if you need me. I am here every day.