Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

1991 lincoln town car: car out for an evening cruise..roads..high beam…

I bought a used 1991...
I bought a used 1991 Linclon Town car yesterday, very clean higher miles though 175,xxx My wife and I took the car out for an evening cruise. While driving in on some back farm roads I switched over to the high beam lights. After approx. 5 to 8 minutes they started to turn off and on. At first it was just for a second, but then the time off got increasingly longer.... Luckily no one esle was on the road and I was able to slow down and switch back to the low beams...

I got pretty nervous and turned the car and headed home. We took the highway home and I tried the high beams again, the same thign happened. Went back to low beams everything was fine. I visually inspected the connections when I got home and pulled the bulbs. They are the original bulbs and they looked okay to me. I was going to replace them due to age, but then thought if both are turning off at the same time it may be more of an electrical issue

Thanks

Charles
6/27/2010
Ronnie
Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Ronnie :

Ronnie :

In most case the problem you are describing on your 1991 was caused by a bad head lamp switch, and possiablely the connector as well, the switch would heat up on high beams and cause the connector to heat and melt and this cause the breaker in the headlamp switch to kick in and out. In most cases replaceing teh switch and the connector if it melted will correct you concern.

Ronnie :

I can send you headlamp switch replacement instructions if you need them, let me know.

Customer:

That would be great if you could send me the replacement instructions.

Customer:

That makes sense. Where are the switch and connector located. Just got the car yesterday and not that familiar with this type of stuff anyway.

Customer:

e-mail address is [email protected]

Ronnie :

The switch is on the left side of the dash, the knob you pull on to turn the lights on. Here are factory instructions.

DOWNLOAD HERE

Customer:

Directions look easy to follow. You said there is a chance I should replace the connector as well. I assume that is the wiring harness type piece in the picture where the wires from the dash connect into.

Customer:

If so is that straight forward, just switch out wire per wire. Or is there some where else to check?

Ronnie :

Yes that is correct, once you have the switch out, take a close look at the connector, if its bad, you will see its a bit melted as well as the switch will show signs of overheating as well. No ,most all part stores sell a replacemet connector, as this is a very common concern, be sure to solider them if you replace the connector.

Ronnie :

YOur bulbs should be fine, no need to replace them.

Customer:

I think I got it. Connector is connected to switch and if it is damaged, buy another and soldier the connections. I assume I would just cut the wire from the old connector? One last thing... any idea on cost, just bought the car yesterday and a little short on cash right now.

Ronnie :

Here is factory pricing as well as part numbers , but you will most likely find the switch much cheeper aftermarket .

Full Size Image

Customer:

Man, thanks for all the help. I don't have the electronic dash or the auto, kinda of funny that is the most expensive.

Customer:

Thank you Charles

Ronnie
Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician
Your very welcome Charles, Thank you very much as well.