Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2004 Lincoln Navigator: 97,000 miles..30 mph..few seconds..wheel drive…

Customer Question
I have a 2004 Lincoln...
I have a 2004 Lincoln Navigator with 97,000 miles on it that makes a rumbling noise when accelerating at speed (over 30 mph). The noise comes on as soon as I accelerate and then stops suddenly after a few seconds. The noise goes away when I shift to 4-wheel drive. My mechanic replaced the fluid in the transfer case and that did not help.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Lincoln
6/24/2010
Lincoln Mechanic: Kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 8 years ago
Kalamykid
Kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Chat Conversation Started
Kalamykid :

Do you know if you have a limited slip rear end?

Customer:

I don't know. How do I find out?

Customer:

It sounds like the noise is coming from the

Customer:

engine compartment.

Kalamykid :

the easyiest way to find out is to have the truck in 2wd jack up the rear end with the trans in park. See if you can spin the rear wheels. If you can and the two rear wheels turn in oposite directions then you do not have limited slip, if the wheels will not spin easyily or not at all then you need to put the trans in neutral and try again. If the two rear wheels spin easier and in the same direction then you do have linited slip.

Customer:

I can't do that without taking it to a mechanic.

Customer:

Is there some code in the sticker on the door jam that tells us this info.

Kalamykid :

The code is a color code on one of the axle tubes.

4:39 PM

There is also a metal tag on the back of the rear end on the top of the inspection tube. See if you can see an 8.8 or a 9.75 on the tag

Lincoln Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 8 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Hello, I'm Chris
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

Different tech here, I do not agree with the previous expert, Limited slip issues are only going to be noticed when turning sharp under 15 mph and it is going to be felt as a vibration. Key things you have said "makes a rumbling noise when accelerating at speed (over 30 mph). The noise comes on as soon as I accelerate and then stops suddenly after a few seconds. The noise goes away when I shift to 4-wheel drive" When you are coasting or running at low rpms or idling you are producing vacuum in the engine intake, when accelerating your not making vacuum. Shifting to 4x4 makes it stop, means its the front hubs which are called IWEs integrated wheel ends causing this noise.

On your vehicle the hubs are unlocked when vacuum is supplied to them and locked in when vacuum is taken away/vented. Also on your vehicle when you engage 4x4 the transfer case engages via a electric clutch which speeds the front driveshaft up slowly to match the speed of the rear driveshaft (thats why its called shift on the fly) Once the driveshaft and axle shafts are up to speed the hubs get locked in via the IWE solenoid mounted between the battery and firewall mounted on the passenger fender.

The noise your hearing is the hubs barely grinding trying to lock in. There grinding because the wheels are spinning but the front driveshaft nor axle shafts are. So its engaging backwards..

What you have here is a faulty IWE solenoid or low vacuum supply to the IWE solenoid or vacuum leaks before or after the solenoid.

Testing: the solenoid should always get 20 inhg of vacuum even at full throttle since there is a reservoir to store vacuum on this vehicle test this with a vacuum gauge. This needs to be verified. You then need to verify the hubs nor lines are leaking from the IWE. Do this with a vacuum pump to see if they hold pressure. Now see if the hubs operate correct with the wheels off the ground. Disconnect the vacuum supply to the hub. With no vacuum a spun wheel should also spin the axle shaft and with 5-6 inhg of vacuum the hub should disengage. If the vacuum tests pass then replace the IWE solenoid which has been a issue on the 04 and up 150 which has the same setup.

If this helps or resolves the concern please make sure to give credit to the expert which helped you, you can click accept on the post which worked or reply and say I accept XXXXXX (the experts name) answer.

Thanks Chris,

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician