Lincoln

Lincoln Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

sluggish..flashers on for 90 minutes.Can I charge my car battery…

Customer Question
our car is very sluggish...
our car is very sluggish in starting...i left the flashers on for 90 minutes.
Can I charge my car battery by running the car?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Lincoln
6/12/2010
Lincoln Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 8 years ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

I will try my best to help you with your question.

You should first have the battery tested. Have the CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) tested and make sure it is near or close tot he CCA rating of the battery. CCA is what is used to start the vehicle. letting the alternator charge the battery while the vehicle is running will not charge the battery properly as you still have the vehicle running and voltage is needed to run the electrical accessories. The alternator could be damaged because it could overcharge the battery and overload the wiring if the battery is bad.

If the battery passed the CCA test, put the battery on a slow charge with the cables disconnected to recharge the battery. Never charge the battery with the vehicles alternator and/or the battery cables still attached to the battery.