FL Real Estate

Florida Real Estate Questions? Ask a Real Estate Expert.

Title docs relating to US (FL) property purchase - am I

required to keep original copies...
Title docs relating to US (FL) property purchase - am I required to keep original copies of these or can I scan them in & just keep a 'soft' (online) copy please?
Thank you.
3/11/2018
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Good afternoon,

It's a good idea to keep a copy of the transactional/closing documents (that mountain of papers you signed) from a property purchase, but you don't necessarily need a hard copy. A scanned copy is fine. The deed is filed with the county and is public record, so technically, if you didn't want to hold onto a hard copy of that, you wouldn't have to, because you can always obtain another copy for a small fee if needed in the future.

RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Thank you. That's very helpful!