FL Real Estate

Florida Real Estate Questions? Ask a Real Estate Expert.

Scotty,. Recently my wife and I went to look for a new home…

Customer Question
Hello Scotty, My name...

Hello Scotty, My name is***** Recently my wife and I went to look for a new home and settled on a property in Lakeland, Florida developed by a builder called LGI homes. I was told to deposit an earnest money sum in order to bind or keep a piece of property available. I deposited $1,000 dollars with the builder. I had made it clear to the builder that I would use my personal mortgage company since I am a 100% disable veteran and would be using the VA System to purchase the home. I was led to believe that the forms that were being presented to me were to bind the earnest money. However, when I found out that this was indeed a permission to use the company lender and that I would need to meet with them in 4 to 5 days. In the mean time I was sent a contract from a lender of their choice and that I was to meet with them. They also ran a copy of my personal credit without me knowing it. When I found out about it, I repeated that I had told them that I wanted to use my personal mortgage company and refused to go through with the contract. I asked for my money back and was refused it due to my reluctance to deal with them anymore because of no trust. I was told that the contract is ironclad and I would forfit my money. Is there anything that I can do to retrieve my money?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

Not yet, only telephonically requested refunding my money from the General manager who refused.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the home located?

Lakeland, Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have had my broker call the company for me and he was told that the company was the one which is closing out my case. He spoke with the General Manager.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: FL Real Estate
Answered in 5 days by:
12/28/2017
Lawyer: Lori, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Lori
Lori, Lawyer

Hello. I will try to assist you. 2 things you should do: 1) immediately write a letter to the developer (with copy of the letter to the general manager) explaining the facts of your situation, the acknowledgment by the developer that you were going to use your own personal lender and the misrepresentation that your credit was not going to be pulled. Demand the return of your deposit within 7 days or you will be forced to take legal action against them for fraud, misrepresentation and unfair trade practices AND 2) review your contract to see what your rights are in canceling the contract. If not favorable, I recommend suit to rescind the contract for fraud.

Hope that helps. If satisfactory, a positive rating would be appreciated.