FL Real Estate

Florida Real Estate Questions? Ask a Real Estate Expert.

FL Real Estate

You gave me a link for an answer to question I didn't

Customer Question
Pearl you gave me...

Pearl you gave me a link for an answer to question I didn't ask.... am I to type it here? seems the website was changed or redesigned from the last time I used it

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I want to choose from the online lawyers

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes I want to post my story

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: FL Real Estate
hello I am in need of possible criminal defense advice. A family member is being accused of touching or being inappropriate with 1 of his step children and they claim, after a forensic examination of the child in question that they believe that yes she was violated. He was asked to leave home and they have pretty much separated and damaged the family. He maintains his innocence and it is clearly very serious. Protective services have removed his 2 kids and his 3 step children from the mothers custody and he is in complete limbo. Apparently child services claim to have received a tip about this. They (child services) have questioned the children and mother and him to some extent and now detectives want to speak to him. He is terrified and so am I, that they want to pin this on him. We have very little to no resources. I have told him the best thing unfortunately in his interest is to say nothing without a lawyer. Today he told the detective on the phone (they wanted him to come in to be questioned) ... do I need a lawyer, I want a lawyer with me. That appeared to end it for today. He wants to help and be questioned but I warned him it should be on the advice of attorney or legal aid and likely only in their presence. He don't know what to do but this is a terrible thing that they are claiming and it looks like they are trying to blame him.Today they forced the transfer custody of all 5 children to the grandmother and said their will be a family court hearing tomorrow at 1pm.... he is at the moment no longer with the mother and I see no benefit of him appearing... I think they just want to interrogate him if given the opportunity. It seems they are on a hunt to pin it on someone and he too wants them to get to any truth in these accusations, but I warned him that it is not a good idea to be questioned alone even though he wants to comply and get to the bottom of it. All we know is that they claim to have a tip. Todays detective call did not say there was a warrant or mandatory reason to come in and talk to them. I feel he needs legal help and would also love any referrals for very affordable or free legal assistance on this matter. I am writing from Florida.
just to update this is broward county florida
Answered in 4 days by:
12/19/2017
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 2 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

You're right. He should have a lawyer. The stakes are simply too high to start talking without one, especially when he doesn't know what the alleged evidence against him is or who gave them the "tip." He can take a lawyer with him to talk to the police. If he wants to go to the hearing, he can take a lawyer with him there.

If he doesn't go to the hearing, there is a strong possibility that he'll lose custody of the children to the grandmother. It could be hard to get that back, because he'll be in default. Once he's on the stand, he can refuse to answer any questions if the answer might tend to incriminate him. That's his right. But it's better to take a lawyer, because the lawyer can tell him which questions to answer or not answer. They can also do a direct examination, which lets him tell his side of the story (even if that's just, he has no idea where these allegations are coming from).

The terms and conditions of the site unfortunately do not allow us to represent customers or provide specific referrals, but a good place to find someone is the Florida Bar's Referral Service. He can explain what he's looking for, and they can find him someone who works in both criminal defense and family law.

https://www.floridabar.org/public/lrs/

Please rate my service positively, as this is the only way that I get paid for the time spent answering your questions. Mobile users may have to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?

Lucy, Esq., Attorney