FL Real Estate

Florida Real Estate Questions? Ask a Real Estate Expert.

I'm on my HOA board. A Georgia attorney (not licensed in…

Customer Question
Hi, I'm on my...

Hi, I'm on my HOA board. A Georgia attorney (not licensed in Florida, in which FL has NO reciprocity ) is appearing to represent someone here in Florida... sending unsolicited legal advice to the board, making false accusations, harassing people with false legal threats, etc. As I believe he is in violation of the Georgia State Bar, as well as Florida Statutes governing UPL (Unauthorized Practice of Law) what are our options to get him to stop? A complaint to his Georgia Bar, here in FL, etc? Thanks so much!

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet. He's sending letter to our HOA board making threats of legal action he'll take representing his "client" ...but hes not licensed to even practice in FL?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The Georgia Bar seems to be very clear he is in violation... I just want him to stop, any advice would be helpful

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: FL Real Estate
10/6/2017
Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and your question. You would write to both the Florida Bar Association, since the UPL in going on in their jurisdiction and the Georgia Bar Association, since the complaint has to do with their Bar member. Basically just "cc" the letter. You will want to lay out the specifics of what this attorney has done and if you have any documentation, provide that with your complaint. It might take weeks for the Bars to get around to contacting the attorney though. Because of that, I would highly recommend that the Board contact your attorney and have them write a "cease and desist" letter outlining the violations of ethics rules that their actions are and directing them to stop the communication. It will be more meaningful, right or wrong, to this attorney if it comes from a member of the Bar.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the ratings box on this page of my efforts to assist you today, then the Site will give me credit for doing so. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 6th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating,please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.