FL Real Estate

Florida Real Estate Questions? Ask a Real Estate Expert.

FL Real Estate

My home is in Florida. When the home was purchased 2 years

Customer Question
My home is in Florida...
My home is in Florida. When the home was purchased 2 years ago there was no HOA or deed reatrictions because those were extinguished due to the 1963 MRTA law. The HOA and deed restrictions were both extinguished. Now 50 years later a group is trying to "revitalize" both the HOA and deed restrictions via chapter 720.3 of the Florida statutes. Tis is 50 years later. Can they still use this revitalization option if all owners do not agree?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?
Customer: The home is in florida.
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: They are in the investigation phase.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: FL Real Estate
11/20/2016
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago

Yes they have to follow the statute and majority of the owners must vote in favor of revitalize under the law.

The 2016 Florida Statutes

Title XL
REAL AND PERSONAL PROPERTY

Chapter 720
HOMEOWNERS' ASSOCIATIONS

View Entire Chapter

720.405 Organizing committee; parcel owner approval.—

(1) The proposal to revive a declaration of covenants and a homeowners’ association for a community under the terms of this act shall be initiated by an organizing committee consisting of not less than three parcel owners located in the community that is proposed to be governed by the revived declaration. The name, address, and telephone number of each member of the organizing committee must be included in any notice or other document provided by the committee to parcel owners to be affected by the proposed revived declaration.

(2) The organizing committee shall prepare or cause to be prepared the complete text of the proposed revised declaration of covenants to be submitted to the parcel owners for approval. The proposed revived documents must identify each parcel that is to be subject to the governing documents by its legal description, and by the name of the parcel owner or the person in whose name the parcel is assessed on the last completed tax assessment roll of the county at the time when the proposed revived declaration is submitted for approval by the parcel owners.

(3) The organizing committee shall prepare the full text of the proposed articles of incorporation and bylaws of the revived homeowners’ association to be submitted to the parcel owners for approval, unless the association is then an existing corporation, in which case the organizing committee shall prepare the existing articles of incorporation and bylaws to be submitted to the parcel owners.

(4) The proposed revived declaration and other governing documents for the community shall:

(a) Provide that the voting interest of each parcel owner shall be the same as the voting interest of the parcel owner under the previous governing documents;

(b) Provide that the proportional-assessment obligations of each parcel owner shall be the same as proportional-assessment obligations of the parcel owner under the previous governing documents;

(c) Contain the same respective amendment provisions as the previous governing documents or, if there were no amendment provisions in the previous governing document, amendment provisions that require approval of not less than two-thirds of the affected parcel owners;

(d) Contain no covenants that are more restrictive on the affected parcel owners than the covenants contained in the previous governing documents, except as permitted under s. 720.404(3); and

(e) Comply with the other requirements for a declaration of covenants and other governing documents as specified in this chapter.

(5) A copy of the complete text of the proposed revised declaration of covenants, the proposed new or existing articles of incorporation and bylaws of the homeowners’ association, and a graphic depiction of the property to be governed by the revived declaration shall be presented to all of the affected parcel owners by mail or hand delivery not less than 14 days before the time that the consent of the affected parcel owners to the proposed governing documents is sought by the organizing committee.

(6) A majority of the affected parcel owners must agree in writing to the revived declaration of covenants and governing documents of the homeowners’ association or approve the revived declaration and governing documents by a vote at a meeting of the affected parcel owners noticed and conducted in the manner prescribed by s. 720.306. Proof of notice of the meeting to all affected owners of the meeting and the minutes of the meeting recording the votes of the property owners shall be certified by a court reporter or an attorney licensed to practice in the state.

History.—s. 13, ch. 2004-345; s. 9, ch. 2004-353; s. 137, ch. 2005-2

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.I wish you the best, ***** ***** free to campaign against it.

Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago

If you can positive rate 5 stars when we are done it is much appreciated

Ray, Lawyer