How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FLRealEstateAnswer Your Own Question
FLRealEstateAnswer, Attorney
Category: FL Real Estate
Satisfied Customers: 27208
Experience:  Experience handling landlord/tenant issues, mortgage foreclosures, eviction, purchase and sale agreements
Type Your FL Real Estate Question Here...
FLRealEstateAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I use the money for the security deposit toward the

Customer Question

Can I use the money for the security deposit toward the early termination fee. Tenant broke a 1 year lease and now wants her security deposit back but she doesn't want to give any mailing address of her new address so we couldn't send her any letter.
What should I do?
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: FL Real Estate
Expert:  FLRealEstateAnswer replied 8 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Expert:  FLRealEstateAnswer replied 8 months ago.

The tenant is required to provide you with a forwarding address and if she refuses, then you need to send it to her last known address, which is the rental and hope that she has her mail forwarded to where she lives now. If she wants her deposit back, I am unsure as to why she would do this but as far as the deposit, it could be used if she broke the lease early and failed to pay the fee. If she damages the rental as well and there are costs that exceed the deposit, you could sue her as well for those.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok, so can I put in the letter I will be sending her to the last known address, that we are applying the security deposit towards the early termination fee?
Expert:  FLRealEstateAnswer replied 8 months ago.

Yes, you want to give an itemized list and break down of the deduction from the deposit and send it to her last know address. Here is also a link for the FL Statute, for you to review, which lays out exactly what you should right.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Expert:  FLRealEstateAnswer replied 8 months ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Related FL Real Estate Questions