Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced and licensed Florida Real Estate Attorney and Florida Real Estate Broker.
26296561

I renting a town home. I have 4 years left on the lease.

Customer Question

I renting a town home. I have 4 years left on the lease. There was a plumbing issue in the bathroom. When we got home it was leaking behind tollet i tried to turn mozzle to off and broke off and flooded stairs through the ceiling and walls down stairs. Alsp the ac backed up and leaked through ceoling all on same day. Can i be held liable. ? Also pwner isnt paying for anything to get the water out. Ive bought what i can. Ive been told that mold is on the way. We gave a newborn and mold will be very harmful. Can we legally break lease. Sonce pwner not payong for any remedy? Also can we be held liable? Ive been told by experts place could be dangerous within next two weeks. Still all carpet padding still very damp and carpet changing colors. I had mold all over evaporator. In ac
Category: FL Real Estate
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, generally, if the flood resulted from tenant breaking the nozzle, then tenant can in fact be held personally liable for any damages to the rental property and also to any other neighboring properties and it is important to report such flood damages to the renter's insurance company so a claim can be started and damages can be fixed, since otherwise tenant might be personally liable for all of the repairs / damages caused by the flood.

I wish you the best of luck!

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Renters insurance doesnt cover the dwelling. And how you answered isnt what i was told by another attorney. How am inresposible for a backed up AC and a valve that was leaking and causing damage. And just turned it to turn it off

Thank you for your follow up.

Do you have valid renter's insurance coverage?

Does your written lease state whether tenant or landlord is responsible for the maintenance of the AC and plumbing?

Why did you try to fix the leak yourself and didn't call a licensed plumber?

Please provide me with more details, so I can better understand your situation.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was leaking quickly. Tried to stop it. The nozzle broke off The ac also leaking. We lost a copy of the lease u forunantely

Thank you for your follow up.

Did you request a copy of your lease from the landlord?

Did you review your lease before signing it to see who is responsible for the maintenance of the AC and plumbing?