Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

My name was on the deed to a home my ex husband and I

Customer Question

My name was on the deed to a home my ex husband and I shared. We divorced and I quick claimed myself off the deed. My name was never attached to the mortgage. That being said, our divorce documents stated that if either of us occupied the home, individually we would be responsible for payments. If neither of us occupy the home, we must split cost mortgage and fees. He contacted me stating that I have to help him pay for the leins and back taxes that he failed to pay because he wants to sell it. Per or divorce papers, the profit of sale is to be split. By me quick claiming myself off, am I still responsible to pay for half the debt he acquired while I was not living there? And also, will I still get half the profit of the sale? I haven't told him about the quick claim because I feel he has an agenda. Will the divorce decree trump the quick claim if it comes down to it legally. Even if I wasn't attached to mortgage?
Category: FL Real Estate
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you tonight. You no longer have an ownership interest.You are not liable for the mortgage or taxes, etc if you were not residing there.If here finds a seller here they would take liens and taxes out at tile company so that a closing can be made.Until it sells I would not offer to pay anything.It is not clear from what you present that you have any liability if you aren't living there and aren't legal owner.It may be possible here for him to sell this without you, you may have to return to divorce court if he will not give you your fair share. I do not see you owe anything here.The liens and taxes come off the gross sale at closing.I don't see that you are liable for any of this.It sounds like he hasn't paid what he owes. I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again and the best here.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
If you can positive rate when we are done it is always much appreciated.