Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced and licensed Florida Real Estate Attorney and Florida Real Estate Broker.
26296561

1. Self-Storage in Florida - Can landlords lock tenants out

Customer Question

1. Self-Storage in Florida - Can landlords lock tenants out of a unit for being delinquent on their rent?2. If the tenant is in a lease agreement that is for "hobby and storage" in Florida, can the landlord lock the tenants out of a unit for being delinquent on their rent?
Category: FL Real Estate
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Is there written agreement for the rent of the storage unit and does the agreement terms state that owner can lockout tenant in case if rent is delinquent?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a written agreement for the rental unit. The agreement doesn't state if the landlord can or cannot lockout the tenant for delinquent rent.

Thank you for your follow up.

Generally, most storage rental agreements do contain clause that allows for the storage owner to lockout the tenant from storage if the rent becomes delinquent and even if the agreement doesn't state that tenant can be locked out of the storage facility in case of rent delinquency, since storage facility is privately owner property, the owner would have the right to lockout tenant of the facility at his/her own discretion until any delinquent rent is brought up to date.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm confused by your response. Please confirm the below is accurate.1. If the lease agreement states that the landlord can lock out the tenant for being delinquent, then the landlord can lockout tenant for being delinquent.2. If the facility is privately owned, the owner would have the discretion as to whether they want to lockout a tenant or not.If both of the above are true, then I guess my question is why wouldn't the landlord want to lockout a delinquent tenant?

Thank you for your follow up.

Both of the answers are correct and most storage facility owners would lockout a delinquent tenant until the rent is brought up to date.

I wish you the best of luck!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?

If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so I now understand the storage aspect of it, but I need clarification on the hobby part. Since the lease states the tenants use is "storage and hobby" and it doesn't state if the landlord can or cannot lockout the tenant for delinquency, is it within the owner's rights to lock the unit for the tenant being delinquent?

Thank you for your follow up.

Generally, the purpose of the storage would not have any legal significance when it comes to the storage owner's right to lockout delinquent tenant out of the storage facility.

I wish you the best of luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I ask another expert? You and I don't speak the same language.

I am a Florida licensed attorney and I believe we both speak English perfectly fine.

If you have any related follow up questions, please let me know? If you have more details that you can provide related to the situation in question, I might be able to provide you with more elaborate answer.

If you choose to get a second answer from another expert, you can accept my answer, so the question will be closed and post your question again.

Thank you.

Thank you.