FL Real Estate

Florida Real Estate Questions? Ask a Real Estate Expert.

I have a insurance claim in kissimmee ,fl, the insurance…

Customer Question
i have a insurance claim...
i have a insurance claim in kissimmee ,fl, the insurance company has already issue me the claim payment,but the public adjuster who abandoned my contract before the claim settled, requested payment. I told the public adjuster that he has already abandoned my contract before settled, he is not qualified to get any payment from me, the Public adjuster sent email to my attorney, but the public adjuster never claim to court ,never sue me, never file claim to court, the public adjuster just sent emails to my attorney requested for payment $2000, THEN, MY ATTORNEY hold my this $2000 just because the public adjuster sent him email want the money, do my attorney has the legal right to hold this $2000? there is no court file ,or no court claim.
thanks,
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: FL Real Estate
12/18/2015
Lawyer: Maverick, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….

1. Can you please upload a copy of the contract you signed with the public adjuster for us to view?

2. What does the contract say about his right of payment if he does not complete the work?

3. Did the contract you signed allow the public adjuster to file a lien against your settlement proceeds for his payment?

i attached the contract, which public adjuster abandoned to you ,
hi, my attorney hold the public adjuster payment $2000 as Disputed Ownership of Trust Funds. but what is the definition of Disputed Ownership of Trust Funds. do my attorney have this legal right to hold it? he regard the public request payment as disputed part,but the public just sent him email, never file to court or never put lien,

The law is here and it states as follows:

(f) Disputed Ownership of Trust Funds. When in the course of representation a lawyer is in possession of property in which 2 or more persons (1 of whom may be the lawyer) claim interests, the property shall be treated by the lawyer as trust property, but the portion belonging to the lawyer or law firm shall be withdrawn within a reasonable time after it becomes due unless the right of the lawyer or law firm to receive it is disputed, in which event the portion in dispute shall be kept separate by the lawyer until the dispute is resolved. The lawyer shall promptly distribute all portions of the property as to which the interests are not in dispute.

So, yes the lawyer has a duty to hold that money until your claim is resolved with the public adjuster. You or the public adjuster can do this by entering into a voluntary settlement agreement as to the dispute and then sending a signed and notarized version of that agreement to the lawyer so he can distribute the 2k accordingly.

If the public adjuster and you cannot come to agreement, then either one of you may file a declaratory judgment action to obtain an order regarding your rights under the agreement you signed with the public adjuster. See this law. That order than can be presented to the lawyer for disbursement of the 2k.