Exercise Equipment

Exercise equipment repair questions? Ask a technician

I have a Nordic Track T5 ZI treadmill that I use everyday.

Customer Question
I have a Nordic...

I have a Nordic Track T5 ZI treadmill that I use everyday. When it first starts up....very loud grinding noise and then after a min or so it will quiet down but it is still louder than it should be. I was wondering if the motor needs to be replaced

Technician's Assistant: When did you first hear this sound?

Probably about 6 months or so

Technician's Assistant: When was the equipment last serviced?

Not since purchased however my husband does tighten the belt every so often

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Exercise Equipment
3/30/2018
Exercise Equipment Technician: treadmilltech, Technician replied 3 months ago
treadmilltech
treadmilltech, Technician
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your question regarding your treadmill . I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.Here is how to check the motor.
What you would need to do is when it is making the grinding sound place a long handled screwdriver tip on a non-moving part of the motor and place your ear on the back of the handle. You should be able to hear if the bearing is bad(it will be louder transmitting through the screwdriver). It is also a possibility that the roller could have a bad bearing as well. You can do the same thing with the roller.We work on the honor system here. I do not get compensated until you rate my service, so your rating is greatly appreciated. You can rate my service by selecting the 5th star to the right at the top, (bottom if using a mobile phone) of the screen, you will see 5 empty stars, click on the 5th star to the right to give me a high rating. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service. Rating the answer does not close the question out, you can still find it in your My Questions if you need to follow up and have a further conversation with me. Thanks for allowing me to answer your question.