Exercise Equipment

Exercise equipment repair questions? Ask a technician

It makes a grinding noise when I put the magnetic key

Customer Question
It makes a grinding...

It makes a grinding noise when I put the magnetic key on...no buttons work, can't start, nothing. Tried unplugging it for a couple of minutes. no dice.

Technician's Assistant: When did this screen problem start with your equipment?

Just now.

Technician's Assistant: When was it last serviced?

Hasn't been. Used intermittently since we purchased it - very modest use. We're in a remote area.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Exercise Equipment
3/27/2018
Exercise Equipment Technician: treadmilltech, Technician replied 4 months ago
treadmilltech
treadmilltech, Technician
I am assuming the belt is not running at all when i am answering this question. First check all connections from the console to the motor control board under the motor hood. Make sure there aren't any broken wires, not fully plugged in connections, bent pins in the connectors, etc. You can also use a meter to test for continuity across the full length of the wires to save time. Then do the following after that:1. check for 120 volts to your motor controller and from the controller to the console should be 9-12 vdc Usually the red and black wires in the harness.
2. check for dc voltage from controller to motor should be 80-90 vdc volts when start/run is pressed
3. if no voltage out - controller is bad
4. if no voltage into controller - check for bad on/off switch or breaker, test outlet and check wiring.
5. if there is dc voltage to the motor, test the motor by doing the following:# get a 12-18 volt dc battery fully charged(like one from a cordless drill)
# Make sure it is fully charged, because it won't work if not
# attach the + and - to the motor red is + and black is -
# If the motor turns slightly your motor is ok, if not the motor is bad and would need replaced
# if the motor is ok then your motor controller(the board with the metal) is malfunctioning and would need replaced.We work on the honor system here. I do not get compensated until you rate my service, so your rating is greatly appreciated. You can rate my service by selecting the 5th star to the right at the top, (bottom if using a mobile phone) of the screen, you will see 5 empty stars, click on the 5th star to the right to give me a high rating. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service. Rating the answer does not close the question out, you can still find it in your My Questions if you need to follow up and have a further conversation with me. Thanks for allowing me to answer your question.