Exercise Equipment

Exercise equipment repair questions? Ask a technician

My elliptical is making a strange popping noise but still…

My elliptical is making...

My elliptical is making a strange popping noise but still works smoothly

Technician's Assistant: When did you first hear this sound?

About a year ago I stopped using it because the noise was so annoying

Technician's Assistant: When was the equipment last serviced?

Never

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Equipment Expert to know before I connect you?

Its an old lifefitness X3, but it's been barely used

3/24/2018
treadmilltech
treadmilltech, Technician
Is the sound up front or in the rear?
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Rear
Sounds like it could be a bearing, loose bolts or the drive belt. First here is a link to purchase any parts you need.
https://www.fitnessrepairparts.com/m/equipment/Select/10215/Life-Fitness/X3-Consumer-X3-XXXX-0103Now here is how to check for a bad bearing
What you would need to do is when it is making the popping sound place a long handled screwdriver tip on a non-moving part of the bearing housing and place your ear on the back of the handle. You should be able to hear if the bearing is bad(it will be louder transmitting through the screwdriver). Naturally you will need someone to be using the unit once you get the plastic covers off.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Can’t get the plastic covers all the way off. I want to do the phone call (or preferably FaceTime), but that option disappeared.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
is the best #
I'm not seeing that option either. If you go to fitnessrepairparts.com there are exploded diagrams that you can see to help you remove the covers.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Ok, I will try that
I do see videos on YouTube of similar models removing the shrouds as well. Maybe try there too.

Did you have any success removing the covers?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
We did and the issue is definitely in the bearing housing, but we are stuck and can't figure out how to replace it. Looks like we'll have to call the professionals after all.
The round disc on the axle may require a bicycle crank puller to remove.We work on the honor system here. I do not get compensated until you rate my service, so your rating is greatly appreciated. You can rate my service by selecting the 5th star to the right at the top, (bottom if using a mobile phone) of the screen, you will see 5 empty stars, click on the 5th star to the right to give me a high rating. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service. Rating the answer does not close the question out, you can still find it in your My Questions if you need to follow up and have a further conversation with me. Thanks for allowing me to answer your question.
treadmilltech
treadmilltech, Technician
treadmilltech
treadmilltech
treadmilltech, Technician