Exercise Equipment

Exercise equipment repair questions? Ask a technician

My York X730 cross trainer has given me great service and…

My York X730 cross...
My York X730 cross trainer has given me great service and now it needs a service.A clunking sound has developed over time, once every revolution of the flywheel. Also, magnetic resistance doesn't come into play until the third bar (resistance level) is reached and then it all comes in at once. Is it possible that the computer is faulty? I have removed both pedals and all of the external screws holding the left and right body panels (chain covers?) together. However, to get to the internal screws I need to remove the left and right metal discs. The two bolts were easy but the discs look like they have been pressed into place. Do I need a special puller or is there a trick to this?I would appreciate any advice.CheersPaul.
3/23/2018
treadmilltech
treadmilltech, Technician
To remove the discs you may need a bicycle crank puller. Now as far as the tension, the servo motor controls the tension and over time they can weaken. Here is the part number for the motor
5575-69. I hope this helps.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
sorry for the delay. I had a family emergency that took 2 days out of my life. All OK now. Tomorrow I will look for a bicycle crank puller (for hire?) and will let you know how I go.
Yhank you for your info.
You need one like this item # 263549519897 on eBay.
I hope everything is OK with your emergency.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I am very happy with your rapid response and I'm sure that you have solved my problem but it's 11.30pm where I am - so Goodnight.
Good night!
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
OK. I purchased a crank puller and removed the left metal disc ( the one without the belt). The servo motor is working fine!!! But in program 1 (the manual program) I can see that that the servo does not move until I have pressed UP 6x to level 7 and then the servo moves (in one step) to level 7. I can then move up to level 16 (max) step by step, and then move down to level 1 step by step, but then I have to press UP 6x before it moves to level 7. Seems to me that the servo motor is OK but the lower electronic control panel connected to the servo is the problem but I am really out of my comfort zone here - "I know nothing" - as Sgt. Schultz in Hogan's Heroes said when confronted by anything complex. This quote was actually stolen from Socrates who said "All I know is that I know nothing" but few people (including me) really care.
Thank you for your concern about my emergency - it is very close to being resolved.
Cheers.
PS. I won't be requesting another expert.
The lower board could be bad. What you would need to do is unplug the motor and use a volt meter to check the DC voltage Coming out of the board when you select it on the console. If it has voltage (6vdc or more) but the motor isn't moving the motor is bad. If there is no voltage the board is bad.
treadmilltech
treadmilltech, Technician
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Hi.
I do have a digital multimeter and have unplugged the motor but I really need a spare plug that I can attach my meter to. Easter is upon us and I won't be able to get one for four days. Also, I have been told that spare parts are no longer available for my machine, so I am losing enthusiasm. I can still use the machine by pressing up 6 times then coming down to the level I want.
Thank you very much for your excellent service
Thank you!
treadmilltech
treadmilltech
treadmilltech, Technician