Exercise Equipment

Exercise equipment repair questions? Ask a technician

Funny smell Nordic trac 7i. Nordicttrax x7i. First started 3…

Funny smell Nordic trac...

Funny smell Nordic trac 7i

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model of your equipment?

Nordicttrax x7i

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your X7I? What have you tried so far?

First started 3 months ago belt seemed to be acting weird. Shut it off and it wasn't used for 3 months. Lubed deck for the first time ever. Machine is 5 years old tried to workout on it tonight and got same smell. Should I try lubing it again?

3/22/2018
Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer

Welcome to the site! I'm Dan. Where is the smell coming from? Can you describe it?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
i can't tell if it's coming from the deck or the motor underneath but it doesn't smell like it's burning but it's kinda of rubbery smelling. I hope that makes sense
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Can you help

Sure that makes sense. Sometimes rubbery is normal, especially if it has been stored for awhile. The plastics/vinyls/rubbers outgas but that part is normal. If you think it's abnormally bad, then yea we should probably talk about lubrication. Where did the lubricant come from last time? How long ago did you apply it?

If you're seeing offers for additional services (like phone calls), rest assured those are coming from the site and not me. They're automated.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
It had never been luned before and it is 5 years oldBought a lining wand and put one tune of lube on and ran it for 7 minutes last night with no smell but wasn't working out on it. Tried to work out on it tonight and got the smell.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
That should have been bought a lubing wand from Nordic track
treadmilltech
treadmilltech, Technician
Phone call session started

Ah, OK I was going to ask you to clarify that part. Was it a "Lube & Walk"? Those types of devices aren't normally very good. I really like >>this stuff<< and have used it many times with good results. You may want to try that, but in the meantime I want you to remove the motor shroud and look closely at the rubber belt that connects the drive motor to the walking belt. Is it damaged in any way?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I can't get that off

Yea I forgot this is one of the incline trainer models. They don't have normal motor shrouds. I'm worried that the belt may have some damage or fraying, but I wouldn't cross that bridge until you're sure it has been lubricated properly. It's very easy and inexpensive. You can get lubricant >>here<< and follow the instructions >>here<<.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Since I luned it once is it ok to live it again to see if it makes a difference
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Lubed

Absolutely.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thanks For your help Dan

My pleasure. If I can do anything else, just ask.