Exercise Equipment

Exercise equipment repair questions? Ask a technician

After only about a minute after beginning to exercise my…

After only about a...

After only about a minute after beginning to exercise my schwinn 470 will indicate "workout paused" , as if it no longer sensed that I was still pedalling

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your 470? What have you tried so far?

Actually started several months ago but I've only gotten the time to troubleshoot now. The only thing I've tried is unplugging the system and letting it sit. After plugging it back in the symptoms remain

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Equipment Expert to know before I connect you?

The system worked well for the first 3 months or so of operation

3/17/2018
treadmilltech
treadmilltech, Technician
Hi my name is ***** ***** your having an issue with your elliptical. Most likely you are having an issue with your speed sensor/reed switch. Here is how to check it.Check the reed sensor also known as the speed sensor. It is located near the flywheel. It is mounted to the frame and looks like a small black tube with a wire attached to it. What you need to do is to check if it is good by using an ohm meter.1. Unplug the reed sensor,
2. Place the red and black leads on the two wires
3. turn the flywheel so that the magnet (should be mounted on the flywheel)passes by the sensor(make sure the sensor is only 1/8" away)
4. the meter should show the sensor opening and closing if it does not recheck the gap from the magnet and if it is good, replace the reed switch.
5. The other possibility is the magnet fell off the flywheel and in this case you will need to superglue it back in place.Thank you for your question and I hope this helps.
treadmilltech
treadmilltech, Technician
Hi
In trying to take the shroud off, I must first remove the pedal crank. I Disconnected the long rods that go to the feet rests but am not sure how to get the crank off
You need a bicycle crank puller
Very good
Thanks
Thank you!