Exercise Equipment

Exercise equipment repair questions? Ask a technician

15yr old Precor EFX 5.21si. Rattling noise from rear when…

Customer Question
15yr old Precor EFX...

15yr old Precor EFX 5.21si. Rattling noise from rear when using lower elevations. Rattling goes away as the elevation rises. Sounds like a bearing. Also machine seems to produce a white dust which settles on the pedals and other parts

Technician's Assistant: When did you first hear this sound?

Couple years ago, gotten a little worse which is why I'm inquiring

Technician's Assistant: When was the EFX last serviced?

Never

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Exercise Equipment
3/15/2018
Exercise Equipment Technician: treadmilltech, Technician replied 5 months ago
treadmilltech
treadmilltech, Technician
Most likely the problem is within the wheel. Here is the link. https://www.fitnessrepairparts.com/m/cart/ViewItem/5005413
why then does the rattling appear to emanate from the rear of the machine? If it is the wheel, shouldn't I hear the noise from the front also?
The wheel is most common but I have seen the pivot asst cause the dust your describing as well here is the link to it as well https://www.fitnessrepairparts.com/m/cart/ViewItem/5001848. I would look at the pivot bracket and see if the dust may be coming from it. The bracket has a bushing that can wear out. Place a long handled screwdriver tip on a non-moving part of the bracket and place your ear on the back of the handle. You should be able to hear if the bearing/bushing is bad(it will be louder transmitting through the screwdriver). You just need another person to use it while you try and listen because it may only make the sound under a load.
I am not able to rate the tech until I work on the machine to see if he diagnosed the problem correctly.
Ok