Exercise Equipment

Exercise equipment repair questions? Ask a technician

The band of the treadmill stopped moving. It can still

The band of the...

The band of the treadmill stopped moving. It can still change the inclination, but the band stopped rotating. The treadmill was bought in 2013.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model of your equipment?

Gold's Gym

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Gold's Gym? What have you tried so far?

It stopped and hour ago. I tried to push the band with my feet. It moved, but it cannot moved automatically.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Equipment Expert to know before I connect you?

I believe the model is Golds Trainer 430i Treadmill

The model is Gold's Gym 420
The control panel is working, the belts moves freely when pushed manually. But the motor seems not to work, in my inexpert opinion.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
2/18/2018
Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer

Welcome to the site! I'm Dan. I can help you troubleshoot this and possibly even repair it yourself. Please remove the plastic shroud covering the motor and find the motor, then find the circuit board connected to it. There's a little LED on that board. Turn the treadmill on and tell it to move at a low speed, maybe 3 mph. Look at the LED and tell me what it's doing.

Hello, I opened the plastic cover (after taking out 5 screws). The inside red light of the circuit is on. The belt seems in good shape, I can move the band manually very easily. Nevertheless, the motor doesn't move on its own, no matter the speed that I set on the panel. I recorded a video, but couldn't uploaded to this message; therefore, I uploaded it to a youtube video that you can see. Just go to the following link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEItAH7EnHs&feature=youtu.be

When you set the treadmill for 3 mph, does the red light flash or does it remain solid?

It flashes (turns on and off)

OK, great! That means the console/control panel is sending the proper signal to the motor controller for the belt to move. Let's keep troubleshooting so we can find the cause.

We need to remove the motor cover and disconnect the motor from the controller. Then use a fully charged cordless drill battery, and connect the motor to it. See if the motor spins. There's a video of this test >>here<<.

the light blinks 5 times and and a pause. Does that mean that the motor controller has to be replace?
Sorry, I didn't see the your message above

Sometimes. It means the motor controller is having trouble deciphering the signal from the console. Test the motor first, and let's go from there...

ok
I didn't have a drill battery, but tried with a 20V blower battery. Because I didn't have direct connection between the battery and the motor, I used two small open-ended cables as 'bridges' between the battery and the motor cables. The motor didn't spin.

Can you connect the motor cables to the battery?

Not directly
The male of the motor cable doesn't fit the battery female.

Well if you're connecting through a normal wire and you're sure the connection is secure then I would call it a valid test. Since the console is sending a proper signal (LED flashing on the controller) and the motor isn't spinning, I would advise that the motor itself is defective and should be replaced. You can get a motor >>here<<. There are replacement instructions >>here<<. That video doesn't cover your exact model but it's plenty close enough for you to get through the job.

I really hope that answers your question! Let me know if you need anything else. Oh, and please take a second to rate the service I provided (there should be a 5-star scale on your page somewhere). Don't worry, that won't close your question and you can still respond back at any time.