Exercise Equipment

Exercise equipment repair questions? Ask a technician

I keep getting an E-2 error on the console of my Schwinn 430…

I keep getting an E-2...
I keep getting an E-2 error on the console of my Schwinn 430 Elliptica.l I cannot find any crimps or wiring problems; I've got the whole thing apart and laying all over the place). Once (2 years ago) after the outgoing (female end) of the power plug was damaged (an inadvertant kick while the unit was plugged into the wall) I replaced it and "hardwired) the brown-to-brown, red-to-red and blac-to-black wires. That worked fine until recently. So, in my attempt to fix the problem I have: 1. unplugged the wiring "clip" at the console port (and lower down on the cable in the mast), 2. ensured that the flipswith at the back of the console is bike to 1, and 3.re-hardwired all of my br-to-br, red-to-red and blk-to-black wires. I still get my E-2 error. A new console runs $230+/-. I don't plan on it. What's up? Frank
1/19/2018
Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer

Hi Frank. I'm Dan, and I'd be happy to help! There are only 2 things that can cause an E-2 error on your elliptical: A defective data cable, or a defective console. The tough part about this error is that there really isn't a good way to determine which one is causing the problem, other than to replace the cable and see if it helps. That's what Schwinn certified techs do.

You should call the folks >>here<< to see if they have any (website shows out of stock) and then call Schwinn if necessary, as they also sell parts. Their number is(###) ###-####

I really hope that answers your question! Let me know if you need anything else. Oh, and please take a second to rate the service I provided (there should be a 5-star scale on your page somewhere). Don't worry, that won't close your question and you can still respond back at any time.

This answer, although likey correct, is nothing I did not already know. In addition to describing my problem, I advised re those actions I had already taken and these were NOT addressed as to their correct/incorrectness. I would have appreciated a more detailed explanation as to how I might judge whether the problem lies in my cable OR my console. As it is I am no further along than I was prior to my question. Also...the implication at the beginning of the "just answer" experience was that I would be involved in a "chat" with a technician. As it turns out this was not true; my only chat experience was with my "handler". Additionally, I thought that the online explanation of charges was misleading. My interpretation of the information was that I would pay $5 upfront and the remaining $28 if I was satisfied. It turns out tht I was charged the additional $28 regardless. Disappointed. Frank

Hi Frank,

I don't handle billing (I only answer the questions) but you can call the billing folks at 1-***-***-****. Take care!