Exercise Equipment

Exercise equipment repair questions? Ask a technician

Lifefitness X1 - it feels like brakes are on. This is

Customer Question
Lifefitness X1 - it...

Lifefitness X1 - it feels like brakes are on. This is without having resistance set high or at all.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model of your equipment?

Life Fitness X1 Elliptical

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your X1? What have you tried so far?

Haven't tried anything yet - except running outside, but it is cold outside now.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Equipment Expert to know before I connect you?

Nothing comes to mind.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Exercise Equipment
1/5/2018
Exercise Equipment Technician: J.T., Technician replied 7 months ago
J.T.
J.T., Technician
Hi there are 4 possible Parts that need to be replaced.First we start with the console. Does everything work on the screen?
Next, you will need a screwdriver, and 2 wrenches. Either an adjustable or size 11/16. Take the right side rear pedal arm bolt out and push the arm towards the console and set on the ground. Next un bolt the Little skinny link arm. Now that part on the flywheel should spin freely. Next take all the Phillips head screws from that side cover and take the side cover off.
Console works fine. Screen seems excellent like before. You wrote that 4 possible parts need to be replaced; however, the above answer does not talk about replacing anything. It ends at taking a side cover off. Part of the answer is perhaps missing.(?)
Sorry about that. So next step is to remove the right side cover, and a bolts. One holding the pedal arm and one holding the lower link arm. Then you can totally remove the large plastic shroud.
Now you will see the brake. ( metal Wheels with plastic Center and cable going into it) the brake cable, and the DC Motor ( Little plastic box the cable wraps around) with all that easy to see, Check for any plastic Parts on the brake or DC Motor that are obviously broken. If all looks good, turn machine on and crank it all the way to 20. Watch the DC Motor. See if it turns which pulls the cable. Go from 0-20. 20-0. It should go back and forth pulling the cable. Now if all that stuff is doing it's thing and the cable is not snapped, that leaves your brake. ( most common problem)
You can order Parts from fitnessrepairparts. Com or Treadmill doctor. Com